It's Winter Project Time

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HPIguy

Durability Tester
Staff member
Supporter
Excellence Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
Well, the past couple of years, I've done an RC build to make the winter months of being cooped up indoors more bearable. Last year it was the Baja, the year before that the billet brushless Pede. Some of you already know I've basically all but lost interest (at least for now) in cars and trucks due to having nobody to run with. But, I've dove back into helis, and thanks to the mCP X my skills have really improved a lot. I'm getting more and more comfortable on the 450 also, including my first aerobatic stuff with it successfully. So, I decided I wanted an even bigger heli, and after a lot of thought and reading, researching and studying, I decided I wanted a 600 class bird. Also due to the research, nitro is much cheaper to get into upfront due to the cost of batteries alone. I was going to wait until my tax return to take the plunge, but I found a deal I couldn't pass up. So, this will be my project for this year; a T Rex 600N limited edition. I still need some things to get it airworthy, some of which may or may not be under the Christmas tree, but the biggest was the new radio system I just picked up last week. I'm excited to say the least, and hopefully will have it all done in time for spring time weather. I'll start a build thread in the proper section hopefully soon.

It's a bit bigger than I thought :whhooo:

P1030191Large.jpg

Compared to the 450

P1030201Large.jpg

I got quite a few NIP parts, including a Stars and Stripes canopy that I really dig

P1030225Large.jpg

Last edited:
:OMG:Sweeter than Yoohoo!!!!:OMG:

Nice! What kind of radio did you get?

Thanks guys! Hamz, I picked this up on Cyber Monday. 22% off with a free 7 channel receiver in addition to the SBUS 8 channel it came with. It's the Futaba T8FG super

PzlcD.jpg

Nice setup bro! I have been practicing on an RC simulator with Heli's I still stink so at least for now all I have to do when I crash is hit the reset button! I would love to fly one of those things well, but it is the hardest thing in RC to fly, so I will keep practicing until I get good enough to fly for real.

Nice setup bro! I have been practicing on an RC simulator with Heli's I still stink so at least for now all I have to do when I crash is hit the reset button! I would love to fly one of those things well, but it is the hardest thing in RC to fly, so I will keep practicing until I get good enough to fly for real.

Thanks man, I enjoy the sim a lot too, especially now during the winter months. I completely quit helis for good at one point I was so frustrated. Reason being, I jumped in too deep, too fast. But having taken a different approach this time, and learning in a controlled progression, I've done pretty well I think. Helis really used to drive me nuts it was so hard (for me at least), but I'm glad I decided to give it another go, as it's very rewarding now, even with the occasional crash. The general accepted progression is (+ a good sim too);

Co axial (dual rotor)
45 degree flybar fixed pitch (like the MSR)
90 degree flybar fixed pitch (although with the MCP I would skip this step nowadays, as the MCP crashes better than my Honey Bee FP)
mCP X or Walkera Genuis CP (I prefer the MCP for parts availability)
Then pretty much whatever size larger CP heli you can afford to crash :D

Then pretty much whatever size larger CP heli you can afford to crash :D

This is exactly why I got out of flying planes!! It was to expensive when they hit the ground! LOL Thanks for the advice on how to progress. With helis or any rc for that matter, it is easy to jump in head first and it real easy to get frustrated.

Tom

This is exactly why I got out of flying planes!! It was to expensive when they hit the ground! LOL Thanks for the advice on how to progress. With helis or any rc for that matter, it is easy to jump in head first and it real easy to get frustrated.

Tom

Yep, very true. My problem was I started out with a collective pitch heli first :whhooo: I got hovering down without a single crash, and, that's as far as I ever made it without really wadding it up. I had also never flown planes either, now I know why the LHS guys thought I was crazy. Like everything in life, there's a learning curve. So I took a step back, was REAL honest with myself about my ability and started over. Thanks Tom, I'm Randy BTW.

I'm not really having problems flying my mCX or mSR, but I'm having a hell of a time my flying micro T-28D. Can't seem to get it to stop doing a hammerhead stall immediately after take-off.

I'm not really having problems flying my mCX or mSR, but I'm having a hell of a time my flying micro T-28D. Can't seem to get it to stop doing a hammerhead stall immediately after take-off.

Have you checked the CG hamz? I know on the micro Sukhoi I had, it was really sensitive to CG. I also had an issue once where the elevator trim went kind of nuts, had to re-bind to get it to go back to normal.

Back