It's here!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroRC4Life

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
New Savage X: Progress Thread

Ordered it from Tower Hobbies on saturday, and it showed up yesterday. It's my first nitro truck in over a year, and I'm really excited to get it broken in. Gonna start ordering stuff for it because my LHS stinks and doesn't really carry a lot of stuff for HPI. Which break in method would you guys recommend for it? I purchased some 20% Losi Nitrotane fuel for it as my LHS only carries nitrotane and traxxas top fuel. Enjoy the pics.

7A095D9C-039C-4203-B827-5A0B65102BDE_zpspf1rr3sg.jpg

6694BADA-9A74-4F90-A512-F9853F59656C_zpsqw3o5f27.jpg

85EC863E-78ED-4AFF-AD76-45798A5B51A5_zpssyu8gpd4.jpg

95CD63D3-4A2F-4DF6-9C5F-DA6ABF5BAA35_zpsgmrb3akn.jpg

832D9167-91EA-466A-83FC-C6A6AB0B7D08_zpsg0cpsv82.jpg

552800C7-16F5-472D-85A2-6B5930485EB9_zpsn9re3722.jpg

7DD699D9-2288-4910-ABDA-2AA1BECC6768_zpszoi3namm.jpg

update 6/25/14: wanted to change the title of the thread so I could use this thread to show the progress of my savage. As I get new parts in I would like to post pictures of such in this thread to keep others updated.

Last edited:
Right on!! You will really like it!!

8 tank break in for me
1 tank- idle through. let cool BDC 10 mins
tank 2- 1/4 throttle let cool BDC 10 mins
tank 3- 1/4 throttle let cool BDC 10 mins
tank 4- 1/3 throttle let cool BDC 10 mins
tank 5-6 1/3 throttle(tank5) (1/2 on tank 6), no cooling between tanks. after 6, let cool BDC 20 mins.
tank 7- 3/4 throttle, let sit BDC 10 mins.
tank 8 3/4 throttle. let sit BDC.
after tank 8 you can start tuning
MAKE SURE you run it as rich as you can

---------- Post added at 2:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:04 PM ----------

8 tank break in for me
tank 5-6 1/3 throttle(tank5) (1/2 on tank 6), no cooling between tanks. after 6, let cool BDC 20 mins.

i typed lean* instead of rich the first time. had to edit that. dont want you to break your motor!

Last edited:
Very nice! Any upgrade plans for it yet?

8 tank break in for me

---------- Post added at 2:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 2:04 PM ----------

i typed lean* instead of rich the first time. had to edit that. dont want you to break your motor!

Thank you, i had an idea of what each tank should be but didnt want to mess anything up. Thanks for the advice.

Very nice! Any upgrade plans for it yet?

So far I am going to order the HPI big bore shocks for it, and probably an ERCM exhaust. Well see where I go from there haha.

I would not let it cool every ten minutes. There is a lot of debate over the break in subject. You want it to be right around the 200-225 degree mark and keep it there. Id run as many tanks as you can all at once, like 6-8 that way. I have to put a wool sock on mine to get it to stay that warm and that rich. Start by letting it idle and the second tank I start running it around about 1/4 throttle and slowly start giving it more gas as the tanks go by. About tank 4-5 start leaning it out a little bit so it can start opening up some. You want the sleeve to get heated and still have plenty of fuel going through it to flush out the impurities. Takes about a gallon to be completely broken in. Or do yourself a favor and buy a quart of bones brew 30% break in fuel and you are done in 1 quart. And while you are at it ditch that fuel and get some 30% nitro 8-10% oil fuel from him to, you wont regret it. Runs much cooler, more power, easier to tune. Whats not to like.

I would not let it cool every ten minutes. There is a lot of debate over the break in subject. You want it to be right around the 200-225 degree mark and keep it there. Id run as many tanks as you can all at once, like 6-8 that way. I have to put a wool sock on mine to get it to stay that warm and that rich. Start by letting it idle and the second tank I start running it around about 1/4 throttle and slowly start giving it more gas as the tanks go by. About tank 4-5 start leaning it out a little bit so it can start opening up some. You want the sleeve to get heated and still have plenty of fuel going through it to flush out the impurities. Takes about a gallon to be completely broken in. Or do yourself a favor and buy a quart of bones brew 30% break in fuel and you are done in 1 quart. And while you are at it ditch that fuel and get some 30% nitro 8-10% oil fuel from him to, you wont regret it. Runs much cooler, more power, easier to tune. Whats not to like.

I'm probably gonna get the ban stick by saying this, but dude really?? everything i say is wrong by you. it never fails. its been like this the past few posts i have posted. quit being an ass. Its hard to enjoy a site i came to, to chat with other rc members when people like you say things and contradict me

Sorry, @gablett, but I'm not letting your post go uncorrected.

If you think it works for you, fine, but a critical part of the break in process is the cool down, even if it's done 3 or 4 times per tank.
It's all part of expansion and contraction and getting all the dissimilar metals to mate and fit at their best.

Last edited by a moderator:
[ Or do yourself a favor and buy a quart of bones brew "????

I think I need some of that stuff. (whatever it is!) And no one asked if they could use my name on it either. AND every time I get company visiting (when I'm not home) my wife is giving away the only brew I have left. And my neighbor is sending me pictures of my empty brew drawer in the bottom of my fridge while I'm at work!!!! There's just something not right with all of this. .................

I've been letting it cool down in between tanks. I'm done with the 4th tank now, about to start the 5th tank. I only bought a quart of this 20% fuel, and I've been hearing a lot about this bones brew stuff. Should I order this:

http://www.bonesmotorsports.com/boness-brew-30-nitro-car-fuel-with-10-oil-8-quarts/

In the meantime, I may pick up a gallon of Losi 30% race fuel from my LHS, very limited selection there.

I've been letting it cool down in between tanks. I'm done with the 4th tank now, about to start the 5th tank. I only bought a quart of this 20% fuel, and I've been hearing a lot about this bones brew stuff. Should I order this:

http://www.bonesmotorsports.com/boness-brew-30-nitro-car-fuel-with-10-oil-8-quarts/

In the meantime, I may pick up a gallon of Losi 30% race fuel from my LHS, very limited selection there.

I will have to say 30/8 nitro fuel will out do 20% anything any day... but comes with a price

I will have to say 30/8 nitro fuel will out do 20% anything any day... but comes with a price

I'm not really too worried about the price of the fuel, I want the good stuff.

make sure you get a good brand too. just because its 30/8 doesn't mean its the best, do some research, or go along with bones brew. It is great fuel. I prefer 30/8 championship blend

I'm probably gonna get the ban stick by saying this, but dude really?? everything i say is wrong by you. it never fails. its been like this the past few posts i have posted. quit being an ass. Its hard to enjoy a site i came to, to chat with other rc members when people like you say things and contradict me

Oh I'm sorry so whatever you post must be absolutely correct and the only way. Stop posting stuff you don't know about. People are allowed to have other ideas. If you go and actually read my post, never did I say your an ass your wrong. I said that's not what I would do. Nor do many of the pros.

Sorry, @gablett, but I'm not letting your post go uncorrected.

If you think it works for you, fine, but a critical part of the break in process is the cool down, even if it's done 3 or 4 times per tank.
It's all part of expansion and contraction and getting all the dissimilar metals to mate and fit at their best.

I never said cool down isn't a part of the process but this let it sit for 20 minutes is bull crap. Mating of metals happens when they rub together. Allowing it to cool is the same theory behind hardening steel.

Op it's up to you man but do your research and don't just believe everything u read. Getting it to temp is more important than letting it cool. I have a spare 4.6 and if u follow that method and you ruin your motor I will mail it to you.

Last edited by a moderator:
heating a motor up, and keeping it hot will allow the metal to move around(ever so slightly) and they will NOT stop until the motor cools down. This is why heat cycling is so important, so the metals move less and less each tank until they find there spot to keep the cylinder perfectly smooth. Do some research, I've done metal work for years

I have had the longest cool down period to date! I ran 1 tank, on a B.N picco .28 P3

Last summer I crushed my last jug of werks 30% with my generator while driving to my gravel pits (it belonged to my grandfather) anyway the generator slid forward and pierced the jug, so I really haven't been nitro-ing since then, and so one of my piccos sits, gathering dust......congealed fuel and all.

Last edited: