it starts for 30 seconds and dies

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

levesque87

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I start my savage Xl, give it some throttle and it dies. I've tried to lean it out, and it still does it, i richen it back up, and it smokes alot. kinda confused.

what needle are you adjusting? The hsn or the lsn?

Leaning the LSN will fix this problem. If you have not sealed the engine you should do that first and try again.

I should make a video of this as it seems to be a common problem...

Sealing the engine isn't always the answer. I have a T-MAXX 3.3 that runs like a top and doesn't have a drop of silicone on it. Took it straight outta the box, put in the truck, broke it in, and tuned it. Runs like a dream. Although sealing an engine is a good idea it's not a fix all for every tuning problem.

Sealing the engine isn't always the answer. I have a T-MAXX 3.3 that runs like a top and doesn't have a drop of silicone on it. Took it straight outta the box, put in the truck, broke it in, and tuned it. Runs like a dream. Although sealing an engine is a good idea it's not a fix all for every tuning problem.

True, but it's a good place to start. Tuning questions never come up if the truck never runs into tuning issues, basically what you're saying. If it ran right out of the box, like yours, he wouldn't be here asking questions.

The K5.9 is notorious for leaking. This I know first hand. Take the engine out, seal it, then begin tuning from scratch.

If the problem persists, you can scratch "engine sealing" off the list of possible reasons.

after a few hours of turning the HSN, i tore the carb off and started to check it out. I found it was eating o rings, i replaced them, put the carb back to stock config. Went back out side and it fired right up, I called HPI about the o rings, and there sending a new one to me. But waiting on them is like waiting on christmas, it will get here. i took the motor completely off, found a loose screw on the back plate, I am not sure what the temp it runs at, but i know the way its set right now it smokes good and wide open on the gravel driveway it goes right on the back wheels