Is the WLtoys a959b worth it?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glitch

RCTalk Qualifier
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
In my opinion, yes.

Here are my thoughts after a few weeks of ownership.

• Fast! Clocked it at 37mph but probably could get a couple more out of it
• Flimsy! A front shock broke, and after replacing them with stiffer shocks (came from amazon, not sure what kind of vehicle they made the replacement shocks for with how small but stiff they are) the shock tower broke. I replaced it with an aluminum one and haven't had any more breaks so far.
• Battery life is decent. The provided charger will charge the small battery quick enough to render it useable. If I wanted to upgrade any electronics I would start with a bigger battery.
• The motor gets hot- if you're looking into buying one you probably already know
• The servo is terrible, very slow.
• The range is slightly disappointing but it's fine
• It's hard to control for less experienced drivers

I bought mine for $50 from banggood so my thoughts on it are based off of that price point.

In my opinion, yes.

Here are my thoughts after a few weeks of ownership.

• Fast! Clocked it at 37mph but probably could get a couple more out of it
• Flimsy! A front shock broke, and after replacing them with stiffer shocks (came from amazon, not sure what kind of vehicle they made the replacement shocks for with how small but stiff they are) the shock tower broke. I replaced it with an aluminum one and haven't had any more breaks so far.
• Battery life is decent. The provided charger will charge the small battery quick enough to render it useable. If I wanted to upgrade any electronics I would start with a bigger battery.
• The motor gets hot- if you're looking into buying one you probably already know
• The servo is terrible, very slow.
• The range is slightly disappointing but it's fine
• It's hard to control for less experienced drivers

I bought mine for $50 from banggood so my thoughts on it are based off of that price point.

GPS speedo meter is alot more expensive than this rig :)

I Had many 1/18 before.
Today i have two Custom made Xrays only left , full options, everything is the best. More than 500bucks each.
World champion class rigs many years ago, these are sharp, laser precision, you can enjoy them much if you are Pro Racer indoors.

These are way to special to bash outside, they have everything carbon fiber and so on.

I would like to buy one 1/18 outside basher.
Small , but professional , price range 300bucks, have not read anything about 1/18 in many years.
If you have something good to say about any offroad/basher 1/18 in 200-300bucks range let me know please

No Toys please, like wl-TOYS :)

i wish help finding a basher 1/18 that feels really good, great handling and so on, at 200-300bucks range

I like our WlToys 12428B. Still running great and it's about 7 years old now. But I will never buy another thing from Banggood. I just spent over 2 months trying to resolve a problem with an $88 boat. They finally gave me a $50 refund after I filed a Paypal dispute. It was really funny... they offered me the $50 refund but wanted me to cancel the dispute first. I'm like "nope". You give me the refund and I wll consider the matter closed. After 3 more days they finally gave me the refund.

I like our WlToys 12428B. Still running great and it's about 7 years old now. But I will never buy another thing from Banggood. I just spent over 2 months trying to resolve a problem with an $88 boat. They finally gave me a $50 refund after I filed a Paypal dispute. It was really funny... they offered me the $50 refund but wanted me to cancel the dispute first. I'm like "nope". You give me the refund and I wll consider the matter closed. After 3 more days they finally gave me the refund.
As somebody who has ordered thousands of dollars of stuff from Chinese shopping sites, I would recommend first trying whatever dispute type function the site has and if it doesn’t work, file for a refund through your credit card!

I have bought a lot from banggood over the years. 3d printers, guitar stuff, rc stuff, etc. But never, ever doing that again. You can buy the exact same stuff from Amazon usually and have a much easier time returning it or getting refunded.

GPS speedo meter is alot more expensive than this rig :)

I Had many 1/18 before.
Today i have two Custom made Xrays only left , full options, everything is the best. More than 500bucks each.
World champion class rigs many years ago, these are sharp, laser precision, you can enjoy them much if you are Pro Racer indoors.

These are way to special to bash outside, they have everything carbon fiber and so on.

I would like to buy one 1/18 outside basher.
Small , but professional , price range 300bucks, have not read anything about 1/18 in many years.
If you have something good to say about any offroad/basher 1/18 in 200-300bucks range let me know please

No Toys please, like wl-TOYS :)

i wish help finding a basher 1/18 that feels really good, great handling and so on, at 200-300bucks range
I’m lucky to have an electronic speed sign for cars on my street, so that’s what I use- the speed meters certainly are pricy!

I’m lucky to have an electronic speed sign for cars on my street, so that’s what I use- the speed meters certainly are pricy!

cool, do they work on smal rc.s too ?
nice

yeah the GPS speedo meters are expensive sadly

i had one and one crash later it was dead
i live in EU
and must pay 90bucks for one new
I have bought a lot from banggood over the years. 3d printers, guitar stuff, rc stuff, etc. But never, ever doing that again. You can buy the exact same stuff from Amazon usually and have a much easier time returning it or getting refunded.

Amazon is 10x better than Banggood service wise

Owner is good man, worlds richest person Jeff

cool, do they work on smal rc.s too ?
nice

yeah the GPS speedo meters are expensive sadly

i had one and one crash later it was dead
i live in EU
and must pay 90bucks for one new

Amazon is 10x better than Banggood service wise

Owner is good man, worlds richest person Jeff
Yeah it seems to get everything, walkers/bikers as well as small RCs! It’s right outside my window across the street:
736457F5-D4AE-4194-BF82-62779993F300.jpeg

Yeah it seems to get everything, walkers/bikers as well as small RCs! It’s right outside my window across the street:View attachment 151023
I'd be sending everything I have past that lol. Lets see a pic of your top speed on it 😉

I'd be sending everything I have past that lol. Lets see a pic of your top speed on it 😉
Haha unfortunately it doesn’t display the speed if it’s over 50mph, just says “slow down”! (The speed limit here is 30mph). So 49 is the highest it’s displayed for me! I imagine I’ve done 53-55 though with my Vorteks

Haha unfortunately it doesn’t display the speed if it’s over 50mph, just says “slow down”! (The speed limit here is 30mph). So 49 is the highest it’s displayed for me! I imagine I’ve done 53-55 though with my Vorteks
That would actually make for an even better pic, seeing the RC in the shot and it saying that on the display! 😂😂😂

That would be like the best RC shot ever 😉

That would actually make for an even better pic, seeing the RC in the shot and it saying that on the display! 😂😂😂

That would be like the best RC shot ever 😉
Alright, I’ll have to fix it up first though! The Vorteks front left wheel is “splaying” out i.e. the bottom is farther out than the top. I can’t figure out what the problem is. Notably started happening right after a bumped in a curb at low speed

i purchased the wl a959b and the person i got it from upgraded the esc + motor and few other things. it honestly is uncontrollably fast, lots of spinning in circles (i can't even remember if the remote lets me turn the speed down or not) its goin to be gifted to my brother overseas, think i only ran it twice so far. am tempted to bring him one of my 4 e-revo but the repair bill might be really high if it takes a tumble. i wonder what spare parts i should try and bring since its a 3rd world country (tho isnt far from china :p )

i purchased the wl a959b and the person i got it from upgraded the esc + motor and few other things. it honestly is uncontrollably fast, lots of spinning in circles (i can't even remember if the remote lets me turn the speed down or not) its goin to be gifted to my brother overseas, think i only ran it twice so far. am tempted to bring him one of my 4 e-revo but the repair bill might be really high if it takes a tumble. i wonder what spare parts i should try and bring since its a 3rd world country (tho isnt far from china :p )
That's nice of you, always feels great to get an rc! I would recommend a metal shock tower, a metal gearbox (just the front), and maybe some better shocks for the front. If it goes over small jumps and crashes those are very likely to break. You may consider getting a bumper too!

a bumper sounds like a really good idea, whats the best source for these parts?

dl939.jpg