Is the Savage SS a beginners truck

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joshiestevens

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi, I am basically a beginner in RC.

I had a Cen Fun Factor RTR last year, but I sold it within 2 months because I kept getting problems with it and didnt know how to fix them.

I now want to build a kit becuase I feel it will give me more knowledge about how to fix it when it goes wrong.

is the SS a beginers truck, and what radio equiptment is needed.

if it is not a beginners truck do you recommend anything else around the $349 price. I am ont a full RC enthusiast. I am still at school, and might drive it for a bit on grass, stones dirt, mud and a few jumps at the weekend.

I look foward to your sugestions
Josh

Well, if you want something you cann driove on any terrain, a monster truck, or a buggy is definetaly the way to go.

If I am not mistaken the savage SS is the only monster truck that comes in kit form. (please correct me if I am wrong)

Buggy's, now most all of them come in a kit form. The problem is, they are a bit more expemsive than your 350 price range I belive.

The XTM X-terminator(buggy) is around your price range. It's a very durable basher. Their customer service is the best in the business. I also hear buggys are more durable than monster trucks.

as for the savage from what I hear it is more durable out of the box, than the T-maxx. I don't know how you drive, bu the tmaxx is pretty damned durable. I am rutheless and it takes some serious abuse.

If the savage is like they say and more durable than the Maxx, you will have less go wrong than your fun factor. You will also get more run time, with less fix it time.

I do sugges however you do all the suggested upgrades while you are building it. So you dont have to fix them later.

Anyone out there, please correct me if I am wrong anywhere.

Good luck and welcome to RCNT

A kit can be built by anyone with patience and a few simple tools. All the instructions are done in step by step form. Just don't skip any steps and stay organized.

As far as beginner status? sure why not. As I said, it's all up to you and your mechanical ability. The only thing challenging about putting a kit together is getting over the initmidation factor of putting it together yourself. ALSO, remember that proper break in proceedures should be done to keep from destroying your engine early in the game.

There is nothing more rewarding than putting a kit together yourself honestly. I put my first R/C together and haven't looked back since. I also put together my Nitro MT. With the SavageSS the most intimidating parts are put together for you already which would be the diffirentials and the transmission. After that it really shouldn't be too hard. Besides all of that you will know how to wrench on your vehicle when something go's wrong.

As long as it is Okay for the beginner who is not very practical and not great with mechanics. Also, if its durable and not easy to break.

Josh

A kit is nice if you know what hop-ups you'd like to add right away. You can add them during the build. The Savage SS kit has the Tranny and diffs pre-built for you. It is a big time saver. If you don't like the electrics included with the RTRs get the kit.

I personally love building kits and I got to choose my own electrics.

All good advice..I myself love the kit versions. It helps you get to know your car or truck. When something goes wrong you already have an idea of what it may be or at least comfortable enough to fix it yourself! RTR kits are fun cuz you just add a few things and your off and running..after the break in of course. Any kit is buildable as long as you have patience. Rushing through building it can have latent problems waiting to surface. READ THE MANUAL!!! Have fun and good luck!!

Don't forget though that for that $350 you are not going to get a radio, receiver or servos, you will need to get these along with the SS kit in order to run. Just thought I would mention this.

As far as putting it together HPI's instruction manual is great, it is mostly detailed pics, and each step shows you which parts you will need and has a 1:1 size pic of each screw needed so you can just match it up, it makes assembly that much easier. Once you are finished you building it you will know your truck inside and out.

Th hpi kit is great. i am a newbie and i got it because that is all the lhs had in but the instructions are great. it goes together extreamly easy.

I highly recommend the SS kit. As others have mentioned, it is a great way to learn about your truck and it is just plain fun to put together. Just stay organized and expect to spend around 6 hours putting it together. Don’t forget the thread lock and get the radio gear before you start so you can completely finish the build. You should also take a look inside your diffs, tranny and also make sure the back plate on the engine is secured properly.

One thing I have done to my RTR nitros is to completely tear them down to see how they are put together. I can then thread lock where necessary and get to know the vehicle at the same time. Then again I can’t seem to leave well enough alone and am always changing out parts.

Either way, have fun and welcome to RCNT and to the hobby.

The thing is, at the moment my dad refuses to let me get it because:

1.He says that I am TOTALLY inpractical which I kind of agree with.
2. When I had the Cen Fun Factor, I went up to him every 5 mins when I had a problem and asked him to fix it.(he is soooo pracical), and I just couldnt understand what was wrong and how to fix it. E.g- whe I broke the pull start, I didnt have a clue, and he fixed it sraight away and he has never dealt with pull starts before.

I am worried that if I get the kit, I am not going to understand how to put it togeher or do some stuff wrong. Also, I am just so inpractical, but I love things like rc cars/planes, go karting, quad biking....

For example, I kind of but dont really understand the 1st part of this. How 86032C fits into 86320A...

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/savage_ss/S25ss_P11.jpg

Someone help me out please. I am soo stuck.

Cheers
Josh

Last edited:
dude if you have enuff sence to do all this research,I dont believe you will have any problem with the kit,If you want it bad enuff you can make it happen-xmas-

I am so inpractical, I don' think I will understand it.

Anyway, why does it need a 3 channel radio when my fun factor only had 2

The only reason you will need a 3 channel is if you are planning on installing reverse. The third channes toggles between forward and reverse.

Also, everything makes more sense on how something is put together when the parts are right in front of you.

I really hope I dont get stuck on it.

What would you rate the kit on difficulty(1 being easiest, 10 being hardest).
Also, what control is more fun to use. Stick or wheel. I used a stick on my fun factor. I also used a wheel on my friends electric car but it was hard.

What do you recommend

You won't get stuck as long as you don't rush it. Take it step by step and you'll be fine. As far as the stick or wheel configuration, I prefer the wheel. I've used both and honestly, it's just a matter of getting used to the controls. It's all eye hand coordination.

Personally, I prefer the wheel.

As far as kit diffulcuty, for a first timer I would say a 3 or 4. Just read through the instructions carefully first, make sure you have all the parts, proper tools, table to spread the parts out in an organized fashion and lay a towel down on the table as your work surface. The towel is in case you drop a screw or other small item. It will land on the towel and stay there instead of bouncing away.

If you have ever put together one of those plastic model kits, this kit should be no problem.

Hmm. Wheel or stick, still deciding. Which is more fun?

Can I use a 2 channel radio with the ss if I know I am not going to get a reverse module

The fun factor is a standard, regardless of what radio type you use. If you ask me, I'd get the wheel only because those seem to be the ones ost often sold by the LHS. If you aren't getting the reverse module, just get the 2 channel.

What do you think about the 'Airtronics BL2DR 2-Channel AM/1 94102Z Servo'

or Tower Hobbies System 3000 2TXP

Back