Is my starter broken? Super newb alert!!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fourkings

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So the good news is that I have got the Savage up and running at the hobby store.( I had come into posession of a savage and a 3 channel radio but nothing to start it and no clue what i was doing) I went to start it today and it started and stalled etc. Then I went to try again and when I spun the roto start I got nothing. It's like its not even engaging the engine. I replaced the glow plug and double checked that everything else was working. Started from scratch with clean lines new glow plug etc. Put the roto start in and the same thing just spins. Pulls no fuel,makes no noise????? I don't think i could have screwed up something that bad. Any ideas would be great. I have a new starting mechanism that came with my roto start but don't even know where to start with trying to replace it myself. And i surely don't want to do something that's unnecessary.

If your roto start spins normally, the problem is the one way bearing that it grabs on the back of the crankshaft. Take the backplate off the engine and soak and clean the OWB and the shaft. dry them off, reinstall, and you should be good to go.

x2 for what Rolex said. Problem with slipping one way bearings is that when they start to do that they wont last a whole lot longer. You can help save it by loosening the glow plug when you start it, then tighten back down when the engine is running

Should I just replace the bearing? Is it that big of an expense? Just a note about my newbness: I know very little about mechanics in general. I never liked to work on my car and therefore never learned about it. That said, I'm not an idiot and could learn and will learn how to do my own repairs, upgrades, and maintenance. I just don't have anyone to apprentice under so to speak. I don't have friends who are into RC so the learning curve for me may be a bit steep. I don't even know where to start to take this thing apart to try and get at the back plate of the engine like rolex said. Scared I'm really gonna mess something up. Any ideas where I could watch repair videos or walkthroughs?:\

yes u should replace the bearing... they are like $5-$10... roto starts put out too much torque for one-way bearings so you tend to go through alot of them... many people put the starter shaft in an electric drill on low torque and start it that way... i would advise you to do this as well if you are able... if you are not able to do that, then use the roto start for no more than 5sec and dont pulse it with the button... Hope this helps

Roto start isn't the problem,fuel blow by from the engine gums them up. For fixing it's simple really. Take the fuel lines loose,remove the spring hold the exhaust header on and pull the header loose,pop the ball link loose from the carb throttle arm,remove four screws holding the motor mount to the engine plate(there are access holes in the bottom for the rear 2) then just pull the engine out. Next there are 3 screws hold the roto-start housing on,take them out(don't loose them,they are an odd size) and remove the housing, The OWB is the hex shaped part on the shaft or in the housing if it comes off with it. Note which way the OWB is installed. Clean with denatured alcohol,break cleaner,carb cleaner or similar.
Put it back together in reverse order using blue service removable thread locker on the backplate screws and motor mount screws. The only tricky part is before you tighten the motor mount screws cut a thin strip of paper and pinch it between the clutchbell and spur gear. Tighten the screws then rotate the spur gear to pull the paper out. If it comes out with crisp stair-step folds and doesn't rip you should be good.

After thought here,while it's out check the clutchbell bearings. make sure it spins smooth and there's isn't a slop to allow it to wobble around. I had a lot of problems with the OWB on my 25 so here's pic of a mod that made my life easier. Drill a small hole(just big enough for one of those red straws on carb cleaner,WD-40 etc..)in the roto-start housing in line where the owb rides the edge of the starter shaft. Then when it slips trying to start it,just take your cleaner and stick the straw in it and give it a squirt.

owbhole.JPG

i did the same thing with my roto start plate. i was told to do so when i got it by a local tech. it does make it last longer.

I have a new roto start housing mechanism that came with my rotostart I should be able to do that mod and replace it once I figure out how to get inside. Is this where the problem likely is? It seems to me that the gear inside that housing is not engaging the engine. Is that right? Will replacing that housing fix the problem? Sorry if these are dumb questions

yes it is inside the housing, you do not need a housing you just need a bearing..you are correct the bearing turns and grabs the shaft to turn the crank, your bearing is not

I have had gears break in them but most likely you just need the OWB. It looks like a hex nut for a bolt but instead of threads,it has a bearing the center. Also check the shaft the bearing rides on,if it has noticeable wear replace it too.

You always need a manual..

Here is a link to the manual for the Savage X, all of the parts are pretty much interchangable. You are going to want to download this and save it in your documents, so you can look at pages and print them. You are going to want to look at page 34, middle of the page is the diagram for the OWB.

This manual is going to be very usefull, not only for pics but will let you know about part upgrades. Tranny cases are interchangable, diff cases, radio box, and bumpers and others.:D

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/instr/pdf/858.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys. I really appreciate it. I'm sure it's the bearing. So when I get a few hours to myself I plan on figuring it out. Let you know what happens

Hey I had the same problem on mx XL and it turns out i had to get a new shaft for the one way bearing I did all the cleaning and oiling I could stand since i have replaced the shaft it's been so far so good

Back