Inferno Sport Engine

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NitroWannabe

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Anybody have any experience with the stock engine that comes with the inferno sport?

I'm not having much luck with it. It starts great, idles great, but no matter how lean or rich I adjust it, it just doesn't have that great pickup speed. No matter how lean I make it (under 280 temp) it just doesn't run fast. Is it me or does this engine just suck?

ya i have a little too much experience with that mill. its performance can be expressed in one word: CRAP. it doesn't have that much power because its a sport engine. i was able to port the sleeve and pull some more power out of it, but other than that it really sucks. but anyways, try checkin for air leaks around the engine. move the flywheel with your thumb, is it easily moved with no resistance? if so, go buy a new piston and sleeve, if not, the engine just sucks.:angry:

The Inferno Sport kit comes with the gearboxes built and mounted, the rest is not rtr. According to towerhobbies the difference between the plain Inferno kit and the sport kit is that the sport comes with this POS engine and turboshocks. Me likey perdy shocks :) Both were the same price.

the sport also does not have countersunk holes iun the chassis, a plastic spur gear, and the shocks are not as good. Also the plastic is not as high quality.

Well, I'm not so upset about the engine now. I found two things which made a big difference...

1. The header had been slowly working itself loose and the exhaust was leaking, I just thought it was loud because this was my first time at an indoor track and everybody else was running 1:10 at the time. A guy at the track said that'd make it run hot, he appears to be right. After tightening it back down and using some thread lock, it runs a lot cooler. Still a little hot from what I know, about 270-280.

2. Ran out of fuel, had to buy some at the track, the only thing they had was 30% blue thunder, I had been running 20%. That helped even more. After re-tuning it with the 30% I was able to get even better performance and lowered temp to 260-270.

----------------------
But now I have a couple of minor problems...
1. When I start it I must be giving it some throttle, otherwise it'll never start, using throttle trim isn't enough. But after its been running for about 5-10 seconds it idles great. I've adjusted the minimum throttle or whatever its called, I can get it to start with no extra throttle, but after 5-10 seconds the idle is way to fast.

2. When I first start it, its a real slug, seriously, full throttle and the little electrics are passing me. But after about half a lap it kinda sputters a little, then takes off like a bat out of hell and runs great until I decide to kill it.

I'm stumped, no clue what to do about either of these problems.

Last edited:
both of ur problems are both related to your low end needles. u need to retune it. go read a tuning guide.

According to the manual....there may or may not be a low side needle adjustment. Maybe not those exact words, but it definitally implied that it may or may not have a LSN adjustment. I've looked at the engine...the screw where the LSN should be is tight, I mean really tight, far tighter than a needle adjustment should be, so I didn't mess with it.

So I guess I just need to run it until it gets an acceptable mixture going?