IH Scout Trail Rig

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timmahh

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
i just got this IH Scout/tuber setup from Crawler374 over on scale 4x4 rc. I wasn't sure what i was going to do with it. last night i was dinking around a bit, and sat it on the Reign k2-5 chassis i have. the length was perfect, and even the mounts installed matched up with 2 rear mounts i have installed for my gastank/electronics box i put in the Reign.

after seeing how well the scout fit on the reign, i decided the nb jeep will get something different now, and this scout will become a 1.9 trail rig.
excuse the 2.2 MSDs. its what i had available for mockup. i need to get some 1.9 wheels. want a nice scale looking wheel. not sure what to go with. Geolanders, Rock Crushers ect. looking for suggestions on rims/tires here. BLs arnt necessary, but may want to go that route anyways. any help here is appreciated.
DSCN4931.jpg

DSCN4929.jpg

the tube work is a decent starting point. i ll be massaging a few things on it, then adding more to get it more to my liking. need to make 2 holes up front in the chassis to mount the tuber on.
DSCN4930.jpg

when i put the body/tuber on, the front axle matched up about perfet as well. but the back was kicked out too far. so i made up new lower links to get the rear axle to set under the wheel wells. i need to make 2 new rear upper links to get things working right, but the clocking i m getting out of the current mockup is about what i want.
DSCN4927.jpg

DSCN4928.jpg

heres a few more pics showing the Scout body, and the bit of details done to it when i recieved it. i ll likely put the RC4WD 100mm scale white shocks on this when i get them back from RC4WD.

DSCN4932.jpg

DSCN4933.jpg

DSCN4934.jpg

DSCN4935.jpg

i ll be making new upper links after i eat, so i can finish up that part of setup, then i ll be able to install the motor and elects and get this running tonight.

1.9 wheels
Reign K2-5 Chassis
custom tube chassis with IH Scout body, will get interior, not sure if ill do a back seat or not, but it will get a full front with Dash steering wheel ect....

Unknown shocks right now, will be getting RC4WD white shocks when i get them back from warrenty. 100mm.

Axial Axles, with RC4WD lockouts and axles on rear, RCP Knuckles on othersise stock axial front axle. think they have the HD Locker, not sure, havent pulled them apart since i got them

Stock Axial tranny mounted to Derlin Inboard link skid i think this will end up getting a 3speed tranny, and maybe even a parma hemi motor for more scale details (though it may be too big to look right).
MIP Front drive shaft, and stock axial rear drive shaft.

wb is right about 10 7/8 inches.

ok, got the rear upper links made, and in place, axles pretty good now, no bind, smooth movement, and stable. put the springs on all the shocks and set them in a slightly different place. installed the motor on the mirrored tranny, and then put the esc, rx and battery pack in place so i can run it tomorrow. will have some 1.9s to check out to get some ideas of what i want to run. doesn tlook too bad, the 2.2s give the 44 in or so size wheel look, but thats a bit too much for my flavor. 1.9s pulling a scalish 35 inches would be a bit more to my liking.

heres a few of the pics
DSCN4936.jpg

DSCN4937.jpg

DSCN4941.jpg

DSCN4942.jpg

ride height at current setup
DSCN4943.jpg

and at full squat
DSCN4944.jpg

DSCN4945.jpg

and elecs mounting
DSCN4946.jpg

on the charger now to be fully juiced in the am

Last edited:
Thats a sweet set up you got there. when you get those 1.9's on there it will realy give it that scale look.

good looking rig man...1.9's will scale it up really nicely....

i thnk I'm going with the HPI scale 1.9 nascar rims. slid those infront on a set of hammers and it looked pretty good. got a few good ideas today looking at the various 1.9 tire/rims that peeps had.

ok. been a few, the MB build and other things have been taking up the time.

decided to start on the tube layout to be added. just have a few pieces cut atm. nothing much. Need to get some Oxy before i can do much else as far as brazing, but will start getting more tube cut to add to the rig.

also found a set of HPI stockcar rims with some rc4wd rock crushers (glued on unfortunatly, but the job was good). now Thats the look I'm going for.
DSCN5040.jpg

so hopefully i ll get some oxy soon, and be able to get back to some brazing.

Need to give a BIG TY To RC4WD CS here too. a cap on one of the 100mm scale shocks had messed up threads (or it was the body). I contacted rc4wd, and Mike took care of it for me. sent the shocks back in, and got replacements for them! THANX MIKE.
Is good to see CS alive and well!

huh, i dont remember this rig at all, but i posted lol...pretty cool trail rig timmahh.

nice build up

I'm really starting to like the scale side of rc's

nice build up

I'm really starting to like the scale side of rc's

wait till you start one!!! they are a blast to build cuz you are always thinking of little detailed poop to do to them, and running them is super fun as well imo.