I must have got a lemon...

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kr0niK

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
My T-maxx runs great and 0 problems with durability. I read tons of threads about how the maxx has horrible durabilty but I've got a OS 18tm and bashed the livin crap out of this thing and it asks for more. The worst of which being a cartwheel at 20+ mph into the side of a dupster, hit, hard, and landed upright and took off. Everything is stock on it except the engine, front alm. skid and alm front bulk heads.

Anyone else have good things to say about the t-maxx or am I alone on this one.

I was having problems breaking arms. I put on some RPM and no problems since. I love to run it.

You are a lucky guy. I must say though, the t-maxx is a good little truck, and does hold up well, untill you find its limits. I never had a problem with the arms breaking, but the shock towers and bulkheads broke a lot.

Hell I've had my T-maxx for almost 5 years now...same bearings all around ..never blown a diff and I've only broken a stock shock tower..oh and stripped a few plastic spurs...I love mine soo much I picked up three more for cheap...

Well I'm glad I'm not the only one who actually likes them lol. My main reason for getting one was parts avaliability, the LHS has way more traxass stuff than HPI (savage was on my list to) so that clinched it. But I haven't had to purchase anything yet.

As for the shock towers and bulkheads breaking, it's not really a good thing but silver lining is they're easy to change.

Yeah my LHS is very pro-Traxxas... parts galore..They sell savages for like 700 canadian and have very few parts...Oh and they are selling the HPI Baja for like 1499 canadian or something

I liked mine until I got my savage. I had Over $1400 into my Tmaxx, and my savage right out of the box was tougher, handled better and was faster (Even though I had the .21 conversion in my maxx) My maxx was a awesome truck to learn how to turn wrenches on. Awesome work platform. Just vs. my savage, its like comparing Rocks to diamonds.

I love the used Tmaxx I picked up a few weeks ago. I have been bashing it for about a week now and I think its great! It's as nervous as a log-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs when its cold, but once its warmed up, runs like a champ. Its easy to tune too. Its my first MT so I don't have any on hand experience with Savage's or MGT's or anything else to compare it too, but it its easy to work on and common breakage parts seem to be cheap enough.

Yeah thats one cool thing about the Tmaxx's. When the revo came out, the Tmaxx parts dropped alot. I do have to give Traxxas props though on giving the Tmaxxs updates. I always liked that even though they have newer trucks out they still spend time working and advertising the max. Ya dont see alot of companyies do that. Most will just discontinue the older models.

my tmaxx was a nightmare. I got over 2K deep into it and it still had nothing but probems. Went all integy and then to all rpm and then a mixture of all the greatest stuff (rpm,GA,RR, MIP) I finally got tired of wrenching for 2 hours after 15 mins of play and bought a savage.

Tommorow is day one of the savage 1 week bash fest. We'll see how she does. I know the tmaxx was good for about 6 inches of air. I had about 3 feet of air once and the bulkhead snapped when it landed.

kurt_02f150 said:
my tmaxx was a nightmare. I got over 2K deep into it and it still had nothing but probems. Went all integy and then to all rpm and then a mixture of all the greatest stuff (rpm,GA,RR, MIP) I finally got tired of wrenching for 2 hours after 15 mins of play and bought a savage.

Tommorow is day one of the savage 1 week bash fest. We'll see how she does. I know the tmaxx was good for about 6 inches of air. I had about 3 feet of air once and the bulkhead snapped when it landed.

That's exactly how I felt when I made the mistake of starting out in the hobby with a Smartech. It was a t-maxx knock off so the parts were similar and most interchangeable but like you said, 15 mins of play, 2 hours of wrenching. Then my t-maxx, I've got about $600 cad invested, including the .18tm and I haven't broken a thing.

I just bought my son a sportmaxx so hopefully I have the same luck as you. The first time you jump your truck more than two feet up and land on it's lid you will have found it's limitations LOL. I have owned a few of them and had great luck with one of them. My S-maxx was tough as hell unless it landed on it's lid, only upgrades were aluminum big bores and steering servo.

I love my maxx lol but I have a rc solutions roll cage on it and that is it, it has been 8 feet in the air and landed and broke nothing. but the savage is tougher period (got one of those too). as for handling... what are you guy's smoking?? the t-maxx will eat the savage for lunch, drive circles around it etc... it is a matter of physics, the savvy sits higher so it can't turn as well but... it is tougher.

Savage vs. T-Maxx is a certain flame-war catalyst and not worth delving into. Most of the crap being talked about the MAXX is said by Savage owners and vice-versa. Owning a Maxx, I'd like to have a Savage, too.
But you're not alone - my Maxx has been awesome. I get gobs of air - 5+ ft is the highest I've had the balls to fly it so far - and I've broken NOTHING due to big air jumps. It is only by incompetence and inexperience at the wheel that I have broken anything on my Maxx, and when something does break, it's a breeze to fix. The only "shortfall" I find in the Maxx is it's flexible stock chassis that allows enough twist upon a bad landing to break the motor mount. But I've since upgraded to the Traxxas racing chassis and installed a center skid to stiffen the chassis - we'll see how it does. But I find that if it is tuned and driven competently, it is an excellent truck. And just for the record, a fellow at the local track has the 3.3 Maxx (.20) and eats a .26 equipped Savage alive. As I said before, if you're competent with the vehicle then you can go for days without having to wrench on your Maxx. I've gone weeks with only a minor tune change thanks to the wild weather fluctuations around here. Have fun and welcome to the Maxx club!

I have had a t-maxx 3.3 for 6 months and i love it. i have had a little breakage, half of which was my own fault for driving it into a curb and broke the front bulks twice.
P3230001size.jpg

I have had to replace the motor mount from landing upside down on the motor and stripping the screws out of the mount. other than that the yokes have twisted the u-joints out of them.

BIG PHIL said:
other than that the yokes have twisted the u-joints out of them.

Heh, my smartech has pretty much all maxx driveline from that problem. Nothing broke on my t-maxx though except I stripped a hex adapter on the weekend. Thought it was alot worse than it was when all I had was FWD. Almost thought my streak of good luck was done lol.