I just got my hands on a vintage tamiya subaru imprezza 99 whitch i restored and now want to conevert offroad

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dogman888

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
I have a old tamiya rc nitro car that I dismantled and restored and everything seems fine but the body shell is all cracked and I wish to replace it, I was thinking maybe a pickup truck shell and I also wish to buy some offroad tyres for it.
The only problem is this is my first nitro rc car and I have no experience could I get any opinions pls

Welcome in @Dogman888 , there is a few bodies available on amazon but not exactly sure if they would be the correct fit. If anything, you may need to modify it a little bit to get it to fit. The clear bodies are painted on the inside with polycarbonate paint. Other paints will peal in no time. Not sure if you knew that or not.
As far as offroad tires, I have no clue. I'm not familiar with this car but have fun with it and experiment.

I have a old tamiya rc nitro car that I dismantled and restored and everything seems fine but the body shell is all cracked and I wish to replace it, I was thinking maybe a pickup truck shell and I also wish to buy some offroad tyres for it.
The only problem is this is my first nitro rc car and I have no experience could I get any opinions pls
Welcome to RCT. That kit is a off road 4x4 rally car. Are you trying to make it a basher?? For jumping and what not? As for the pick up body you would need to buy body post
Extention to raise up the body. As for the tires you probably need some wheel hub extentions. To get the bigger tire width to fit....

You can look at some of Tamiya TGM, Bison Truck body and tires. If yours is a 10 scale, TG-10, you can use pretty much most Tamiya or HPI truck bodies.

If it's a touring car (and an Impreza probably is), you can maybe do some rallying with it and that's it. So a smooth dirt surface, scale jumps and the like. Any touring car body should fit (not sure if 190 or 200mm width though) and there are hundreds available, cheaper and good looking compared to your average MT or SCT body.

Welcome to RCT. That kit is a off road 4x4 rally car. Are you trying to make it a basher?? For jumping and what not? As for the pick up body you would need to buy body post
Extention to raise up the body. As for the tires you probably need some wheel hub extentions. To get the bigger tire width to

Welcome in @Dogman888 , there is a few bodies available on amazon but not exactly sure if they would be the correct fit. If anything, you may need to modify it a little bit to get it to fit. The clear bodies are painted on the inside with polycarbonate paint. Other paints will peal in no time. Not sure if you knew that or not.
As far as offroad tires, I have no clue. I'm not familiar with this car but have fun with it and experiment.

Welcome to the forum. I didn't even know Tamiya had nitro kits.
this tamiya rc car is actualy like 15 yrs old soooo idk if they make nitro rc cars anymore
hi thank for the tip but i actualy found a pickup truck shell i like from a local shop who is pretty specialized in rc cars.
i attached a picture of it for u. it should fit right on since its a 1/10 scale frame but if not i will just drill the holes myself.
Welcome to RCT. That kit is a off road 4x4 rally car. Are you trying to make it a basher?? For jumping and wtohat not? As for the pick up body you would need to buy body post
Extention to raise up the body. As for the tires you probably need some wheel hub extentions. To get the bigger tire width to fit....
hey thank you for the warm welcome, i actualy thaught of making the car drivable in non track conditions per se because in my country there is not much tracks to drive in. as for the frame post extensions i dont rlly know where to get them as it is such an old tamya model but i think they are comon.

Attachments

• ftx9264gy-250x250.jpg
    ftx9264gy-250x250.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Can you show a picture of your car? Most current Tamiya body post may fit, just have to see it to find the right one. There are extension just put on top of the existing body posts.
Tamiya make 3 versions of original Imprezza, one for Tg10, The (1/10) and the other is TGX (1/8).
Can you show a picture of your car? Most current Tamiya body post may fit, just have to see it to find the right one. There are extension just put on top of the existing body posts.
Tamiya make 3 versions of original Imprezza, one for Tg10, The (1/10) and the other is TGX (1/8).
I meant TGS instead of The.

Last edited:

I meant TGS instead of The.
my car is a 1/10 scale and tbh i do not wish to buy another impreza shell and instead i wish to get a pickup shell or sumin.
i have atached a few pics of the car for you to see and i also atached a pic of one of the body shells i found from a local rc shop.
if the pics of the car i sent you are not what angles your lookin for just reply and i will take more. ty for your help about the extenders tho, i didnt even know that they existed and i thought i had to replace them totaly.

Attachments

• ftx9264gy-250x250.jpg
    ftx9264gy-250x250.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 20220104_230133.jpg
    20220104_230133.jpg
    274.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20220104_230208.jpg
    20220104_230208.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 40
  • 20220104_230216.jpg
    20220104_230216.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 43
my car is a 1/10 scale and tbh i do not wish to buy another impreza shell and instead i wish to get a pickup shell or sumin.
i have atached a few pics of the car for you to see and i also atached a pic of one of the body shells i found from a local rc shop.
if the pics of the car i sent you are not what angles your lookin for just reply and i will take more. ty for your help about the extenders tho, i didnt even know that they existed and i thought i had to replace them totaly.
Actually, what you got is a TGX which is 1/8 scale, similar size to Kyosho SuperTen or HPI Super Nitro series. So most 1/10 scale won't fit. You can get body post https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Tamiya-1-10...p2349624.m46890.l6249&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0 and I believe TL01 posts are the same.

That is a thing of beauty indeed :) brings back 22 year old memories, i can already smell the burned nitro as a 7yo kid, sweet with a lushes hint of something else i can't quite put my finger on.
definitely a vintage model i need to get for myself as well :p

Back