I bashed it till it broke

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicide

Gone - bye bye.
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I once said i couldn't run my tmaxx for more than 2-3 tanks without it breaking. I believe i broke a record. i installed a spool in the rear diff last night. Then i took it out in the backyard on soft grass. I warmed it up and messed around. As soon as it got warm, not 1 minute later i broke the rear left half shaft. Then i just pulled donuts with it, then the right one broke. i wanted to run it, so i just ran it with only the front wheels turning.

Know should i leave the spool in or take it out.

I've heard of guys running with spools in the front and leaving the rear alone.... if anything, i think you should leave it in. just get beefier axles! lol

ps. if it makes you feel any better, i think i fried my failsafe lol

i already got em. I'm gunna strip it to the bone to clean it and put it back together

u put them in the diff (usually rear) and it permantly locks the wheels. both wheels spin at the same speed all the time. in a limited slip (stock) one wheel is allowed to go slower than the other.

How do you take the hexs at the end of the wheel off

So the spool, is just locking the diff. Or makeing it posi in car terms?

locking and as you guess you only put them in the rear

The spool will be hard on the drivetrain.Off road on low traction surfaces its should be OK but any on pavement running I think would overstess the drivetrain.I put the Bad Horsie Diff grease in my Cybermax the other day and took it out in the paved parking lot for a test run.I had chucked in an old 2.5 quick just to test the diffs.The trucks is to heavy for 2.5 but it was cool fishtailing the thing and even a few donuts.A spool would be ideal for drag racing or pulling.The Bad Horsie goo is about as close you can get to locked without a spool.I used Ofna Diff Lock in the front diff.It climbs the curbs like a champ now but the turning radius on asfalt is like 20' . LOL

So i mainly drive my firestorm on the pavement, That means I should put a spool in it? Cause I kinda want to. Also is it a pain to put a spool in, cause my beach house, Ill be running in sand.

so, would you put a spool in drifting car?

Last edited:
for on road no. sand: i wanna see one with a spool in sand. yeah Its an SOB to change the rear diff out
SOB is Sun Of a ______
if you run in sand buy a set of rear rims and put paddles on the rear

it would give you more control in the wheelies. here this is without a spool (I know its a revo )

Last edited by a moderator:
so, would you put a spool in drifting car?

Yes, you could and many do. However, it's not a requirement and as your drift skills improve it's actually a detriment for more advanced drift techniques.

Back