Hunsan X4.... Starter quad?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThunderTiger

Hardcore RCTalk User
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Well, I was recently thrown in at the deep end of ariel RC thanks to a close friend deciding to go Ariel in a cycling hobby of all things!

To start out, he bought a Hubsan X4 to play with and get used to controlling a quad in all of it's initial complexity.

It didn't take long for him to hand it over to me due to upgrading to a bigger Quad, a Parrot Bebop, which is also my next move!

Still learning how to control the hubsan but the difference between that and the Bebop is night and day. The bebop is far more stable and "polite" in the air.

Back with the hubsan, 5 minutes flight time is just about enough to get a handle on control, bring it down, switch batteries and get airborne for another 5 minutes.

Always wanted to go ariel, but would have preferred a heli.

Still, great fun nonetheless. I will grab a phot of me flying it during the week.

Question is, can I improve on the hubsan stock battery for a better flight time?

A small quad is a great place to start! I know nothing about the Hubsan X4 but I started with a Blade nano QX and the transition to a larger quad was very easy. Good luck and keep us up to date on your damage report....I mean progress LOL

So far only a couple of blades, a snapped motor wire (my fault) and an upper shell. First flight was at night-time in a dark local park. Certainly good for making you search for it and keep it in sight.

That was a good flight until the landing which broke one of the arms on the upper shell....

Can record video with it, but prefer to just get on with learning to fly.

Bebop is a dream to fly by comparison and my controller of choice for it will arrive before the bebop itself does.... Gives my IT guy time to mod the controller too.

lol, yes I admit it I am the technical guy who worked out the controller mod could be done by removing the onboard webcam. However you had the soldering skills
to make it happen. 2 used wikipads from ebay at £49.99 each and 30 mins of work later and I think we have all we ever need for flying parrot drones and
with the button mapping feature maybe some others.

I did enjoy seeing you rag around the little hubsan in the park though. Your flying skills are definitely improving. Pity about the 3-5 mph winds that
sorta knocked it out of the sky on a couple of occasions, but no damage done so good fun.

Oh yes, great fun! A little more air time with the x4 and I will happily move up to a larger quad without a quibble.