hsn setting for break in

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spongebobspongebob

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm breaking in a new savage 25, and I was wondering what the high speed needle setting is. thanks

It's in the manual. I would strongly suggest you read it as it provides you quite a bit of information that could become useful to you.:contract:

the manual only says that factory settings are 4 1/2 turns out. I have been heat cycling it at 6 turns out. does this sound ok?

Spongebob - for breaking in the engine, the richer the better so long as it does not bog down. Once you're done breaking it in, you can fine tune it to 3 turns or 3.5 turns from all the way shut. It also depends on how your engine will respond and perform, I have heard different settings from other folks.
Have fun.
:banana:

The richer the better during breakin. Then SLOWLY start leaning it. I usually idle one tank at the richest settings it will allow and still stay running. Then drive it around at no more than 1/4 throttle. Once I have about 4-5 tanks through her I'll start leaning 1/12 turn at a time. I never lean more than 1/4 turn per tank of fuel. This gives the engine time to "wear in". There are tons of theories out there on proper engine break in procedures. This one seems to work best for me and not leave me bored out of my mind during break in.

If you have bought it from brand new then i suggest that you leave the needles where they are cus they are set from factory to aid in the break in procedure.

the whole break in thing is a pain. after heat cycling it about 4 times, I ran it in a figure eight and blipping it really easy at about 5 1/2 turns on the hsn. after a few laps, I checked the temp with my duratrax flashpoint thermometer, and it was running about 240, which seems really hot considering I ran it pretty rich. I let it cool, and tried again several times with the same results. All in all, I've only run about 2/3 of a tank of fuel through it. I just want to make sure I do this right. any suggestions? Thanks!

2/3 of a tank and already running round in 8's. Think you should empty first tank whilst its sat on a block just on idle, maybe even do 2 tanks like that. If i remember right i was on tank 3 before the wheels even touched the ground, tank 3 and 4 ran well under half throttle, 5 and 6 had 2 second blips at full then after that it was time to tune and thrash the pants off that thing.