hsn 6 turns out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonnybagstrx

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
my hsn is nearly 6 turns out and car still performing well is this normal the weather was about 50degrees today

Like I said in my post my Hsn is about the same and my lsn is out about 2 turns more than normally and my rig runs like a raped ape

6 turns out may be ok, tuning is a combination of needle settings, head temps, smoke trails,weather and performance. This is what makes tuning an "art", being able to read all these attributes at once. Also remember colder air is more dense thus containing more O2 and will require more fuel to properly burn.

^^+1 every combustible engine is the same way it takes the right amount of air to burn the right amount of fuel (more air needs more fuel) and it will require more fuel if you did any work on the eng, exhaust, or intake it all has to come together in the end.:first_place:

Default settings are just that, default. If it runs good then don't worry. 6 turns is about the point where a 3.3 carb simply cannot flow any more fuel.

I'm gong to ask what may sound like a stupid question. 6 out is 6 counterclockwise?

Could be a UK thing haha. Mines also currently 6 turns out.

Mine is at about 5 1/2 and everybody at my LHS says something is wrong most everybody is around 4 to 4 1/2 max..

See my other thread about my tuning issues

lol...I'm in Canada ...and both my 3.3 run at 5 to 6 turns out on the HSN ..depending on the weather ...thats how they like it ...less than that , they overheat

I've read somewhere that the carb on the 3.3 is flowing just about all it can at 6 turns out. I find it a little concerning that they are so close to the limit. Could do with a bigger carb lol.

You're only gonna get so much fuel into that carb. It's usually enough to be safe in 30 degree weather though.

You're only gonna get so much fuel into that carb. It's usually enough to be safe in 30 degree weather though.

Hope so, because I don't want to have to wait whilst it warms up lol.

I've been running in 50 to 60 degree weather and 4 1/2 to five and about 2 1/4 works for me. They really should tell you to richen these things if breaking in in cold weather. Default settings are way low if its below 70 degrees. 6 sounds pretty high but if it is running good and your motor is getting up to temp then keep doin what ur doing. The only problem i could see you having by running that rich is your temp.

---------- Post added at 12:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:10 PM ----------

being low that is

I've spoken to Traxxas UK and they think I may have a problem with my engine because I shouldn't need to be as far out on my HSN. I'm 6 turns out. He thinks I may have a leak meaning I have to richen it up so much.

Took the engine of yesterday to seal it up. Whilst it was out I connected a fuel tube to the inlet and blew through it, I get quite a bit of air passing the bearing behind the flywheel. Will this cause me a problem?

I sealed up the rest. Back plate, carb and it's pinch bolt. I didn't do the needles though as I haven't got any of the green slime as recommended in the tutorial. Just letting it all set now. Then it will be out to try again.