HPI Savage XL Octane up close

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HemiStorm

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Here's a quick unboxing and first look at my HPI Savage XL Octane. I really like what I see so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
SPEECH! SPEECH! SPEECH!........oops, I meant review.

Please post a review of it running, break in, speed, you know, crashes :)

Great review Hemi , looking for word to part two

First attempt at getting the Octane to fire up. Patience is a virtue. I'm trying to give you the most honest information I can provide you with. I'm not new to 2 strokes, but this engine has me puzzled.

Here's another video, 3 Savage Octanes. This is not a single car issue. We suspect the ignition unit to be flawed. Also, pay attention to how these 2.4 Ghz HPI radios act when operated together.

Man I hope they get the issue's worked with these rigs soon! Sorry to hear so many people having problems with them. Guess it is just more waiting for HPI to sort out the problems.

It's running, it's wheelying, it does stoppies, shifts and terrorizes everything in its path! I'm so happy it's running, and running well! Another video on my HPI Octane, spread the word please, this is a car with MASSIVE potential!

Thanx for these vids hemistorm

Awesome glad you got it figured out!:thumbup: I plan on a purchase for an octane in the not so distant future.

Yes, it works! I'm convinced, just gotta go see if they're in E-town (Edmonton).

^^ and the adjustment increments that HPI suggested are slightly larger than what hemi used, since the new engine is sensitive to tuning.

Last edited:
Just got my self one of these struggled to start it , got going eventually just done one tank so far just seams to struggle to change up gears great truck though.

After reading reviews and seeing all the drivability problems lol my 5.9 runs awesome for the price you would be better off saving for a losi 5t or hpi 5t

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

After seeing all the drivability problems my xl 5.9 runs awesome compared to the octane lol 800 bucks you would be better off buying the hpi 5t or losi 5t I beat the hell out of my losi 5 never ever lets me down toughest rc truck iv ever had period

After reading reviews and seeing all the drivability problems lol my 5.9 runs awesome for the price you would be better off saving for a losi 5t or hpi 5t

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:56 PM ----------

After seeing all the drivability problems my xl 5.9 runs awesome compared to the octane lol 800 bucks you would be better off buying the hpi 5t or losi 5t I beat the hell out of my losi 5 never ever lets me down toughest rc truck iv ever had period

Not everyone has the room to unleash a 5th scale rig. I don't think I have ever seen a Losi 5t priced at $800 at least where I am located that is. I used to have a Baja 5b was loud as sin I loved it LOL. Neighbors not so much.

Last edited:
yea cops came to the park on sunday I was running my xl and my buddy was running hpi 5b truck they said they really don't care but guy was complaining about dust and noise lol he was 200 yards across park . wtf ? so far as the octane goes each to in there own lol

On my 4th tank now with octane starts first time every time ,pulling wheelies and changing up gear now engine really getting better and better love this truck big thumbs up , not even been out with my baja5b since buying this octane ,can't wait till engines really run in .....

Back