HPI Savage won't turn over with roto start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freezectrl

RC Newbie
Reaction score
So a couple of days ago I tried to start my Savage 4.6 and it wont crank at all
Thought it was a one way bearing failure but opened it up to see that it was nitro start

So I opened it up more and discovered that there was no starting pin on the bottom of the cone rod?

Can the starting pin and pressure spring just come off like that? I did eventually found the starting pin but the spring seems nowhere to be seen

Do I have to take the full engine apart to find the spring?

Attachments

• 20200602_161343_HDR.jpg
    20200602_161343_HDR.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 394
  • 20200602_161359_HDR.jpg
    20200602_161359_HDR.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 267
From the looks on the crank case wall, it's scored it pretty good. If it's not behind there then it's probably been pulverized. Unless the cylinder liner isn't scored, I'd say that engine is probably well done.

From the looks on the crank case wall, it's scored it pretty good. If it's not behind there then it's probably been pulverized. Unless the cylinder liner isn't scored, I'd say that engine is probably well done.

Really?? Damn
I actually found the spring, it was deeper inside the con rod hole, squished so much I couldn't see it at all. The start pin might've been loose in there as well which scares me

I hope it still works, compression feels pretty good

Really?? Damn
I actually found the spring, it was deeper inside the con rod hole, squished so much I couldn't see it at all. The start pin might've been loose in there as well which scares me

I hope it still works, compression feels pretty good
If the compression is still good and there's not a ton of scoring on the wall, give her a try.

Has this engine been sitting for a while? Just looks gummy/oily to me. Should be able to clean it up, maybe gently stretch the spring a little and make it function again.

I had the same issue with a brand new KE25, the starting pin kept getting jammed. Just need to be cleaned up a bit, maybe the hole wasn't cleanly machined enough, but after pushing it in and out a bit, it loosened right up and never had a problem since.

I made the replacement a couple of days ago
Spring was definitely shot, it cranks and fires up really easily now

The problem is it dies almost immediately right after, I've tried a changing glow plugs, changing fuel lines, returning to stock carb settings, sealing the engine, new fuel etc
The only thing left is new glow igniter, which I have bought and is coming

I thought it was getting hot enough while testing with a glow plug outside the car but looking at videos on Youtube, the glow plugs are barely glowing compared to it