Hpi savage clutch

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hulkmaxx

Wanna know my secrect. I'm always ANGRY!
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Just wondering what everyone thinks of the stock HPI savage XL aluminum clutch shoes and springs. Are they good quality or not. I am considering purchasing a set for a BB Maxx project that I have setup to run savage clutch's. I like the Integy 7075 but can't seem to find a place that have them in stock. Thanks:D

You've been pushing the bling thing around for 5 years?.....hahaha, I like HPI aluminum shoes just fine, I've only tried three or so types though. HPI, ofna, and buku, but buku has sub categories.

Alright thanks guys will prob just order HPI clutch shoes then. Oh and ROLEX watch that carpet dust it's a killer !!:hehe:

I'm still running the stock teflon....man those things are still like new. I prefer alum as they clamp better, but do like the longevity of teflon. The only down side to the stock is you don't have many tuning options for it. The shoes are okay, but would like to try out different springs. Unsure if there are other springs available. I've read that Mugen shoes/springs work well (and I have a bunch of those) as well as the OFNA ones.

If I were to change...I'd look at a 4-shoe setup.

Alexander--am I reading correctly that you ran a Buku setup in yours? Thanks

The stock clutch is good but over priced imo.

I got them off ebay
Put them in one of my savages.....tore up a stock 2 speed transmission. The website says to use a new clutch bell.

This season I’ve ran the Buku clutch, the HPI 101199 shoes and the HPI aluminum xl shoes.
Comparing the above with the same engine and gearing:
My favorite is the Buku clutch, but the 101199 shoes do the job very well also and wear at what I consider a good rate.
The xl aluminum shoes were my least favorite because they require more maintenance and react differently depending on how much heat you get in them (how hard you are running the rig).which changes the characteristics of how the rig needs to be driven on a track.

This rig is just going to be a basher. I have had good luck with the 7075 Integy clutch but can't seem to find anywhere with them instock. The engine is Mach .26 BB so I figure the Savage clutch will hold up decent.

This season I’ve ran the Buku clutch, the HPI 101199 shoes and the HPI aluminum xl shoes.
Comparing the above with the same engine and gearing:
My favorite is the Buku clutch...

Yeah, I would think so. ;-) Can you give me the part number you used? Did you just use shoes, or did you get a complete setup with new flywheel, etc? I'd love to run a Buku in my Savage but was unsure if it was supported. I want more tuning options and the "twist" method for Buku provides that. To me, longevity is a minor factor. I'm looking for superior engagment bearing to bell.

The stock clutch is good but over priced imo.
Billy...the stock ones I have 87151...which is for the X 4.6. They are like $10 for three shoes/springs. The stock for the XL 87196 that price is ridiculous just for shoes/springs--I agree.

Thanks!

Last edited:
The Buku clutch has a specialty flywheel but once you purchase the kit you can change just the shoes if needed.
I’m running the 2000ABK-32 clutch with Komposite shoes. Perfect fit, great wear rate and very easily adjusted.

Yeah, I would think so. ;-) Can you give me the part number you used? Did you just use shoes, or did you get a complete setup with new flywheel, etc? I'd love to run a Buku in my Savage but was unsure if it was supported. I want more tuning options and the "twist" method for Buku provides that. To me, longevity is a minor factor. I'm looking for superior engagment bearing to bell.

Billy...the stock ones I have 87151...which is for the X 4.6. They are like $10 for three shoes/springs. The stock for the XL 87196 that price is ridiculous just for shoes/springs--I agree.

Thanks!

I have a used buku clutch with new shoes for sale, its yours for 40 bucks if you want it.

Thanks, man--I'll check that one out.

---------- Post added at 6:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 6:56 PM ----------

I have a used buku clutch with new shoes for sale, its yours for 40 bucks if you want it.

What part#? Can you send me PM with pics? I might be interested. Thx