HPI Savage 25. Roto start wont turn the motor

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeppe_K

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello there,
I've had my Savage 25 for about 10 years now, tho it have been unused for the past 2-3 years.
The problem actually started 2-3 years ago, so it's not a new problem after it had been standing still..

Whenever I try to start it with the roto start, the motor just won't catch on, but sometimes after lots of tries it starts. It can be quite frustrating.
I've even bought a new bearing, new starting pin, pressure spring and some special grease, but the problem persist. :angry:

I've no idea what I can do to fix this, I have even been reading a lot from different forums, but they all say it might be the bearing..
The motor is the same as a bought it.

So here I'm and I really hope you guys can help me out here.
Thanks!

Sounds like one way bearing to me. Common problem with roto starts.

Sounds like one way bearing to me. Common problem with roto starts.

I did buy a new one way bearing tho and installed it correctly :<

Last edited:
Your savage being as old as it is, it might not be such a bad idea to get a new starting shaft (HPI #1432), to go along with that one way bearing. Also grab a new starting pin/pressure spring (HPI #1433) < this one a precautionary measure, cause you'll feel dumb if you miss place it..... I've been there, had to order new ones.

Another option is ditching that old engine, and picking up a new one.

Your savage being as old as it is, it might not be such a bad idea to get a new starting shaft (HPI #1432), to go along with that one way bearing. Also grab a new starting pin/pressure spring (HPI #1433) < this one a precautionary measure, cause you'll feel dumb if you miss place it..... I've been there, had to order new ones.

Another option is ditching that old engine, and picking up a new one.

I already got a new starting pin/pressure spring, but I haven't bought a new shaft yet, guess I could try. Thanks :)

I'm currently trying to sell it, so I don't want to buy a new engine right now.

And the price is around 450$, which seems fair compared to the other trucks on the market, but a bit low when you think of all the money you have spend on it :p:

$450 for a 10-year old Savage? I wouldn't say that's low. LoL