Hpi Savage 21

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dizzyotes88

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
Hello, so I've had this HPI savage 21 monster truck for many years. It ran well when it was last running. Which was at least 8 years ago. Yeah I know, bad to let it sit for so long.

Part of why it sat is that I had no fuel or new glow plugs. The other reason is because the clutch inside the transmission needed to be replaced because it always ran in high gear. Anyways, I pulled it out of my garage the other week and my buddy and I start to tear it apart. Come to find out, more things were bad not only in the transmission but overall on the truck.

I've been able to get just about everything I need up to this point so far. I cannot however find a fuel tank. I've got new line, new plugs, a brand new transmission from a lot I got on ebay. I've been wanting to upgrade to a bigger motor, but at the and time I'm wondering if I should just get a new one of the 3.5?

I can post pictures no problem of everything so far. Just haven't taken any. Oh I did convert it from roto start to pull start. Might decide to go back to roto start though. I guess I just need an idea of what everyone else has done over the years.

is the tank physically broken? if its just the o-rings might be able to get new ones instead of the whole tank.
as far as the engine, might look into a Dynamite engine, decently cheap, can get the .28 RTR for around 110$, or the Dynamite big red for 150$ or so. big red has better and more porting to squeeze out a bit more power, the .28RTR isnt quite as powerful, both being based off "SH engines" last really well.
they do also have the .26 engines, those are going to be around 140$.
EDIT: saw in your other thread the tank was crumpled, so disregard the o-rings part above lol

Yeah it's totally crumbled. I was stupid and left the truck in a box on the back patio for years. But I live in AZ. That doesn't work for plastic very well. Ha ha.

Yeah it's totally crumbled. I was stupid and left the truck in a box on the back patio for years. But I live in AZ. That doesn't work for plastic very well. Ha ha.
ahh, that's not good, HRP (https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/) right now is the only current distributor for HPI in the U.S. they have been behind on parts partly because Covid, but also from making a comeback from bankruptcy, parts do come in stock, but for how long HPI was down, everyone is buying parts up quick when they get back in stock.

ahh, that's not good, HRP (https://www.hobbyrecreationproducts.com/) right now is the only current distributor for HPI in the U.S. they have been behind on parts partly because Covid, but also from making a comeback from bankruptcy, parts do come in stock, but for how long HPI was down, everyone is buying parts up quick when they get back in stock.
That's where I got alot of my stuff! But they are still out of the tank and the brake kit I want. That's who told me I couldn't do the 3 speed on the 3.5 motor.

That's where I got alot of my stuff! But they are still out of the tank and the brake kit I want. That's who told me I couldn't do the 3 speed on the 3.5 motor.
interesting, might be worth looking at the manual to compare part numbers of trans components between the X4.6 models and the 21 model. see if and what might have changed between the two.

Yeah, I'm not sure honestly. Alot of parts are just not made anymore in general. Which is a big struggle. I'll have to get the manuals online and see what is different. I thought it was alot of metal gears in place of plastic ones.

Most fuel tanks I see are rectangle So you will have to make a mount to raise it up to secure a tank. 125-150cc size $15-20.

We just got the motor to run today. Got a generic fuel tank before I was sent info on the actual tank that's available and in stock. Anyways. My question is, what motor mounts up to this truck that I can possibly get? I only know HPI and Traxxas. I'm not familiar with any other brands that are able to bolt onto my truck.

Yes mine goes, however it needs a new carb. Ordered one. Looks like it will fit. Just wanting a second option on a motor

We just got the motor to run today. Got a generic fuel tank before I was sent info on the actual tank that's available and in stock. Anyways. My question is, what motor mounts up to this truck that I can possibly get? I only know HPI and Traxxas. I'm not familiar with any other brands that are able to bolt onto my truck.

Yes mine goes, however it needs a new carb. Ordered one. Looks like it will fit. Just wanting a second option on a motor
answered in your other post, but really any big block .21-.32, there is one or two exceptions primarily the SH .21 with the threaded crankshaft.

My thing is, I would rather just get a new motor at this point as a back up. Don't want to invest in another truck that I'll most likely just want to fix up and have another truck. Plus I'm not looking to invest that much into another truck or my truck at the moment.

Get it running and driving. Go from there.

A new 4.6 engine is around $250. You can find used trucks for that price with a engine.

I've been seeing my truck used on ebay for 600. I haven't found the 4.6 version for less than 400.

Found one for a bit cheaper. Looking at getting it if I miss out on this other truck that I'm sure I'll miss out on from Canada. But it's a full truck. Just needs a couple things, or like you've said. Use it for parts.

Don't rush it. It can take a while to find a good price. The ones I found had a good price. You want the .28 Big red with roto start.