HPI Savage 21 looking to upgrade

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BanditDarvel

RCTalk Racer
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I have a HPI Savage 21 that i bought new when the released. I ran a half a gallon of fuel through it and it has been in the closet up until about a month ago. I bought a Axial .28 motor on ebay. I put the motor in last weekend and wow! what a difference. Now being that the truck is a all stock 21. what upgrades would you veterans recommend? I'm looking to bash the hell out of it...lol

I'm thinking of upgrading the following
Brakes
3 shoe clutch
maybe a 3 speed trans?

Since its the .21 i would upgrade it piece by piece to a savage X, or better.. bulks, diffs, shocks, tvps, and hexes, basically you would upgrade the whole truck lol. If I were you I would try to find a cheap Savage X roller in decent condition.. or even an XL, and start from there.

With my old savage I upgraded as pieces broke. That is viable, but it costs much more than getting most of it in one shot.

OK, Thanks for the tips. I figured the 21 is outdated. This truck has set in closet pretty much since it was new and I dont have a problem upgrading it, hell i think thats half the fun. Well i bought a engine so I guess its time to build a truck around it...lol Look out ebay!

Will a XL 5.9 3 speed transmission fit in my savage?

Last edited:
I believe the 3 speed will fit the .21 as it fit the .25 and they should have been the same tvps. I would just call HPI on that for fast verification.

Well if it dont I guess it would be a good excuse to buy new tvps.;)

I probably should buy a roller, but I have had this truck for so long and being its not my only truck I'm just gonna build something sick.

Last edited:
Well I ordered a 3 speed tranny from a XL, also front and rear bulkheads and diffs :)

If you bought the XL diffs with the axle cups on them, you will also need the XL super heavy duty dog bones and axles. The axle cups on the XL diffs are bigger than the 21's, 25's and the X's. Plus the XL axles are extended and gives your Savage a wider more stable stance.

If you bought the XL diffs with the axle cups on them, you will also need the XL super heavy duty dog bones and axles. The axle cups on the XL diffs are bigger than the 21's, 25's and the X's. Plus the XL axles are extended and gives your Savage a wider more stable stance.

Thank you...I didnt know any of that.

Hey BanditDarvel, just thought I'd update on these diff cups. I pulled these out of the FLM savage to put them in a more water friendly chassis, and although the cup is still in great condition, the internal design only allows for 2 spider gears, which I have just finished checking on, and they look really worn, almost done in. I think I'll stick with a 4 spider gear design.

Sorry for bringing these up.

Back