HPI RS4 problem

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WH1_T-type

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I recently acquired an RS4 in a trade for an RC heli. It has a purple frame so I THINK that it is an RS4 2, but not sure.

Fired it up today with a pull start and it was running really well. After half a tank though it just died and would not restart.

I picked it up and the chassis was warm and the cooling head was hot. I let it sit for a bit. Now it won't start if the wheels are on the ground and if I put it on the ground without giving it throttle it will die. If I keep the throttle on or bump the throttle trim up a bit it will stay running. As soon as I come to a stop though it dies.

I could see it being a low idle if it would start with wheels on deck, but it won't. Am I off base on that? Or is this a symptom of heat soaked?

Thanks

Check your clutch, sounds like worn out clutch springs, or maybe one of the springs came off and one of your clutch pads is staying in contact with the clutch bell, causing our R/C to stall when it comes to a complete stop. Also change your glow plug. Um, try taking the exhaust header off and checking what condition your piston is in, if you see a brass colour then an engine rebuild is in order

It was the spring in the bell clutch. I rewrapped it and working fine. I'm sure that it is worn and needs to be replaced, but I'm not home right now so this fixed it for now.

Us there a kit out there to convert all the Phillips to hex?