HPI RS4 .12 Won't Start

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigsope

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
HPI .12, was VERY used, and Dirty. Tore down the whole car, cleaned everything up. Took the engine apart, took the carb off, reset to factory settings, fresh gas, used glow plug, but it works with my new igniter, put everything back together, and it will not start. I need help. I tried leaning it out thinking it was flooding, that did not work. I put back to factory and all I would get is fuel coming out of the exhaust. I am running 20% Nitro, 9% oil. the piston and sleeve are not scored, the piston is a little black on top (normal?) there was green buildup on the inside of the motor, that is now clean. using pull start and I am getting nowhere. I am new to nitro and I need help. I have built a hand full of 350's in my day but this small stuff seems to be getting the best of me.

Did you put new gaskets in when you took the carb apart? I would pull the engine and carb back apart put fresh gaskets in it and seal it up. Google sealing up a nitro engine. All it takes is one small air leak to give you a world of issues. When i pulled mine apart for the same issue found the HSN and the mid range o-rings were dried out and not sealing. Their was one o-ring in the carb that is so small i wish i would have just ordered a new carb took me 45 min to get it on it was so small and tight. use green slime when reasembeling the carb.

Have you put any fuel direct into where the glow plug screws into and then tried to fire it up ? :-/

Are you 100% sure that you fitted the sleeve in the right position? If it isn't there is no way it will start, I've seen it happen.