HPI MT1 and Savage X

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pitbull14218

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
So I pulled out my HPI Nitro MT1, it's old I bought it used for $30 all it needed was a control arm, although the motor was a little tired too.

After chasing tuning problems, especially after running it and it stalling it was a pain to get started, had no compression once warm.

So I'm sending out my sleeve and piston to get it repinched, $24 is cheaper than a new Engine even though the nitro star .15fe I hear was sucky, or slow?

This was after one bash session, when I was done my arms were mellow after attempting to start it (pull start) for so long.

0810161914.jpg

0914162023a.jpg

0914162023b.jpg

My new to me used savage x I bought off ebay, just got it today, it came this clean.

0914162022.jpg

Not fond of the purple body, might be buying a different body very soon, unless there is a way to paint thia body a different color?

0914162022a.jpg

0914162023.jpg

So painted a new body for my savage x, still need to finish trimming and let the paint fully dry.. Get a finger print in it :/

0917161456.jpg

Still waiting on remote and reciever to test the savage but seems very clean!

HPI Nitro RS4 MT1... I think that's what she's called.

Got my piston and sleeve back from Ray A Racing, seems much tighter, I assembled the engine with a new backing plate so the crank bushing would be tighter. Sealed it up, installed it.

0917161614.jpg

I put screw drivers through the muffler, seems like nothing it in it. I'm debating taking it apart but not sure if it's just glued together and I can pull it apart and reglue it back together.

0917161615.jpg

Tomorrow I'll break in the repinched piston and sleeve. Hopefully it will run better than ever! I don't have any green slime to put in the needles but I think it will be great!

So painted a new body for my savage x, still need to finish trimming and let the paint fully dry.. Get a finger print in it :/

0917161456.jpg

Still waiting on remote and reciever to test the savage but seems very clean!

HPI Nitro RS4 MT1... I think that's what she's called.

Got my piston and sleeve back from Ray A Racing, seems much tighter, I assembled the engine with a new backing plate so the crank bushing would be tighter. Sealed it up, installed it.

0917161614.jpg

I put screw drivers through the muffler, seems like nothing it in it. I'm debating taking it apart but not sure if it's just glued together and I can pull it apart and reglue it back together.

0917161615.jpg

Tomorrow I'll break in the repinched piston and sleeve. Hopefully it will run better than ever! I don't have any green slime to put in the needles but I think it will be great!

If you had some vasiline ,that would probably work for awhile on the needles!....

So I went to break in the new Engine and found the pull start wouldnt cool back after pulling it out. It was working fine before...

So I had a spare pull start for a big block losi I believe. But the bearing didn't match the crank so I took apart my HPI .15 pull start and found the cool spring was broken. Took apart the spare pull start, coiled it into my old pull start, changed the string while I was in there.

Broke the motor in 1 tank idling, 1 tank driving in circles 1/4 throttle blips. 1 tank with 1-2 second WOT bursts leaning out the mixture a little since it was pig rich. Finally leaned it and ran it around 220 degrees, ran decent.

Then I pulled or the string from my pull starter :( didn't make the knot big enough I guess.

0918161242_HDR.jpg

So I went to break in the new Engine and found the pull start wouldnt cool back after pulling it out. It was working fine before...

So I had a spare pull start for a big block losi I believe. But the bearing didn't match the crank so I took apart my HPI .15 pull start and found the cool spring was broken. Took apart the spare pull start, coiled it into my old pull start, changed the string while I was in there.

Broke the motor in 1 tank idling, 1 tank driving in circles 1/4 throttle blips. 1 tank with 1-2 second WOT bursts leaning out the mixture a little since it was pig rich. Finally leaned it and ran it around 220 degrees, ran decent.

Then I pulled or the string from my pull starter :( didn't make the knot big enough I guess.

0918161242_HDR.jpg

If the back plate is the type that has the starter shaft coming out ,then you don't need a pull start to start it!
I use a o-way on a socket to start mty OS 18 with out pull starter.

It seemed to run decent, not as good as I thought it would but it stalled a bit less.

The air filter is small and I'm thinking of picking up a bigger one.

And I dont know if I should get a new pull start maybe I'll have better luck tieing the knot again.

Or find a decent used engine? Any good engines worth picking up used?

Seems my .15fe has different mounting holes than other engines, how can I know what engines are interchangeable?

It seemed to run decent, not as good as I thought it would but it stalled a bit less.

The air filter is small and I'm thinking of picking up a bigger one.

And I dont know if I should get a new pull start maybe I'll have better luck tieing the knot again.

Or find a decent used engine? Any good engines worth picking up used?

Seems my .15fe has different mounting holes than other engines, how can I know what engines are interchangeable?

All small block engines are usually intercahangable ,you may need a engine mount ,it looks like that engine
has the mount molded in with the block!

You had just missed a nice AE 18 engine brand new for 50 bucks a couple weeks ago!...:D

I got some ofna engine mounts if you need them ,they I believe have two areas on the bottom for screws ,an
the top side is channeled to slide the engine back & forth where you want it.
I can take pics!

There free if you need them!...:cool:

Last edited:
All small block engines are usually intercahangable ,you may need a engine mount ,it looks like that engine
has the mount molded in with the block!

You had just missed a nice AE 18 engine brand new for 50 bucks a couple weeks ago!...:D

I got some ofna engine mounts if you need them ,they I believe have two areas on the bottom for screws ,an
the top side is channeled to slide the engine back & forth where you want it.
I can take pics!

There free if you need them!...:cool:
Thanks, I did find an engine mount by hpi86000 that I guess is used in the mt2 since its a bigger engine, I imagine this would allow for me to use all other engines?

I have it in my shopping cart with 3 Glow plugs and green slime lol

I recently had the knot pull through the pull start handle on my Savage X SS. Thought I had broke the pull starter at first so was happy it was just the handle. I ended up cutting off the old knot, carefully pulled the string out with a pair of needle nose pliers, fed it through the handle again and tied a new knot around a small bolt that was small enough to fit down the hole in the handle. Also put some CA on the knot. Hopefully that stays put now.

Back