HPI-Killer's 2.5r Traxxas TMAXX Build Thread

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HPI-Killer

Axial Axle Twisting Guru
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Haha catchy title I know, but I got this 2.5 short chassis Maxx on a trade deal for my Scx10 (Also got a Gymkhanna Rally).

Got home and immediatly pulled the 2.5 and dropped a 3.3 in her with an ERCM pipe I won a couple months back. I know the pipe isnt made for a Maxx but my Revo is KIA for now so the Maxx gets it. I am in need of more nitro before I do a full teardown & cleaning, just wanted to get it where its at for the time being.

I was moments away from starting her when she rolled off my platform with the glowstarter in it and it landed upside down busting my starter, so now I'm searching for my other one, just my luck right?

It has MIP style CVDs ALL around with a RR Steel spur. Dont care if the trade was worth it, I've always wanted a Maxx since I started this hobby and now I have one. Not sure what my plans are with it, I know I want the extended chassis though to help keep all 4 planted with the 3.3 in it.

For now a few pics.
DSCF1005_zps9dfe905e.jpg

DSCF1006_zps9439a298.jpg

DSCF1007_zps4c2a4a4a.jpg

DSCF1008_zps8d31c413.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
HPI-Killer's HPI Killer Maxx Rebuild Build

That thing looks mean! with all that power and awesomeness you gotta put a "weak link" in the drive line somewhere! ;)

Sent from my Pipboy-3000

Last edited:
I'd run an OS .18 cvrx over the 3.3 any day of the week. On my 1.5 I've upgraded it to 2.5 driveline spec with the OS .18 cvrx with no problems on the driveline.

That thing looks mean! with all that power and awesomeness you gotta put a "weak link" in the drive line somewhere! ;)

Sent from my Pipboy-3000

Yeah I fear for that, and unfortunatly the "breaking" point is inside the tranny... But that will give me an excuse to bomb proof the tranny once she blows.

----

Honestly I am one of the few that has ZERO problems with the 3.3 powerplants and think they are a great engine.

----

If I bomb proof the tranny with all HD gears, where then will the weak point be on this thing?

The driver :hehe:

:hehe: I figured youd be the one to chime that in, just shocking there was no mention of water in your post. Haha I think if I stay away from water and immovable objects I will be ok. Well once I can find my other f'n glow starter.....

I'm going to assume the breaking points will then be in the diffs?...

What are some other household agents I can use to clean/degrease this thing? I'm one of the few that LOVES a complete tear down and cleaning, gives me some peace of mind I suppose.

Last edited:
:hehe: I figured youd be the one to chime that in, just shocking there was no mention of water in your post. Haha I think if I stay away from water and immovable objects I will be ok. Well once I can find my other f'n glow starter.....

I'm going to assume the breaking points will then be in the diffs?...

I almost did lol. Yeah, I'd probably say the diffs, I'd go with the brushless spec diffs.

I almost did lol. Yeah, I'd probably say the diffs, I'd go with the brushless spec diffs.

I'm assuming your meaning the Emaxx diffs? Whats the differance between T and E Maxx diffs?

The newer Emaxx diffs with the brushless system are considerably stronger than the original Tmaxx diffs although the 3.3 wont just tear them apart by any means. I run the O.S. .18 in mine and have only had to replace them once so far (the original diffs in my 2.5)

Cleaning agents - Simple Green. I usually do about a 25-50% mix and a good brush and cloth. it will never look like any of Rolex's rides but will clean the rig pretty good.

I'm assuming your meaning the Emaxx diffs? Whats the differance between T and E Maxx diffs?

Yeah, they have HD inserts (I think)...it's been a while since I've looked at them. I was looking into them for my buddy's OS .21TM powered Maxx, if you look at the exploded views, you'll see the difference.

if your gonna extend it you should just go ahead and upgrade to the big block chassis thats what I'm doing with mine and if u want it to stay on the ground better one thing u can do is put the 3.3 style axle carriers and toe links but that would require u getting new cvd's I think

BB Tmaxx trucks are awesome in every which way except on your wal:hehe:let LOL!!

just bc u can put the motor on the chassis tho doesn't mean u gotta put a big motor in it you could always put a nice .21

Alright ladies cool the beans haha, I dont plan on doing anything to this truck that is going to require me to remove or replace any of the aftermarket parts on it. I'm a builder on a budget...

Extended chassis with a 3.3 or similar size to will work just fine for me I dont need some rumble bumble BB...

I can definatly tell some of the posters dont know the way I roll when it comes to my builds :hehe:

^^Hulk I love that exhaust man, makes that truck look super mean with smoke stack look to her.^^

Alright ladies cool the beans haha, I dont plan on doing anything to this truck that is going to require me to remove or replace any of the aftermarket parts on it. I'm a builder on a budget...

Extended chassis with a 3.3 or similar size to will work just fine for me I dont need some rumble bumble BB...

I can definatly tell some of the posters dont know the way I roll when it comes to my builds :hehe:

^^Hulk I love that exhaust man, makes that truck look super mean with smoke stack look to her.^^

Thanks its just an old Hot bodies pipe that was on a savage truck. That pipe does sound nice. I have been surprised how well the stock parts have held up on this rig.

We went through a ton of diff carriers b4 I found out about the emaxx diffs. Havent had a problem since. They seem to be super tuff.

^^Good to know, its between E diffs or Ue bomb proof spider diffs. I think ill do diffs then tranny gears. If i bomb proof it all it wont ever fail.

If i bomb proof it all it wont ever fail.

Now that's ^^^^ Funny...:hehe:

If your on a budget the EMaxx diffs are what your looking for. Or I could sell you a pair of UE diffs for almost what a new TMaxx would cost :hehe:

:hehe: Yeah it made me laugh as I typed it out. I saw UE diff prices and my god they are pricey... Do they sell HD gears to drop into the EMaxx diffs?

----

Got her started up for the first time and my god that ERCM pipe is LOUD and just screams!! Getting the GoPro charged up so I can drop a video in here. Going to my parents in a bit I will get some rebuild pics up with some bashing too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back