HPI F4.1 Blew up

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tos

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
I'm new to this hobby and probably a little too old to be playing with a hobbly like this. My nice looking Savage X with an F4.1 engine worked great the first 10 tanks of fuel that it went through. After sitting unused for about a year(with the 1 gallon fuel container tightly sealed), the grand kids asked me to pull it out. I blew it off, filled the fuel tank and on the 3 crank, it fired up. After it warmed up, I picked up the truck and started to walk across the street to let the kids run it. As I walked, I kept rev'ing the engine until all of the sudden it ceased up. After tearing down the engine, the piston was shattered and the connecting rod looked like it melted off the bottom of the piston. I ordered a new engine...but my question is...What did I do wrong? Could over reving have done it in. I don't know how hot it was although I did remember that I bought a nice digital temp gage. (Forgot that I had it)

2nd question, when the new engine comes, I will have to pull off the clutch. After removing the screw and washers, what else holds the clutch pads and the silver plate behind it on the shaft>

Thanks for your help.

Tos :whhooo:

Welcome to RCNT my friend, and we assure you your never too old for the hobby..

Welcome to the place to be. The only thing I can think of is if you revved the engine with no load then would fry any engine. Also another thing you want to do is in the future is if you're not sure of the current engine settings, you should check them after the engine does get warm.

After you remove the clutchbell you should have a spring holding the clutchshoes onto the flywheel. Simply remove the spring and the shoes will fall off. As far as the flywheel a couple of taps along the backside of it should loosen it and allow that to fall off as well. When you stored it away did it have any fuel left in it? Old fuel in the tank can cause it to gum up and cause all sorts of tuning/running issues.

Thanks to all for the welcomes and sage advice. Phins Fan....no there was no load. Just me revving the heck out of the engine. I won't make that mistake again. I did empty the fuel out of the tank and fuel lines when I put it away, so at least I did that right. My new engine should arrive by the weekend. I will have a new gallon of fuel and a trained trigger finger on the throttle.

One the fried engine, I have the roto start assembly. The new engine comes with a pull start. Advantages/disadvantages of one over the other?

Thanks again for helping me out.

I Like the Roto Start Over the pull Start, Especially with a new engine break in, its just easier......lol, i guess its all in opinion.

Thanks. I used the pull start because it was on the new engine. The 4th or 5th time I used it...I pulled the rope/string too hard. There I was with the pull handle in my hand with the string dangling down. Took the engine out, put my old roto starter on...rebuilt the pull starter and spent the rest of the afternoon carefully breaking in the new engine according to the instructions. Engine temp stayed around 190F to 200F. I ran 3 tanks of fuel so far. A few more and I will lean it up a little. Again, thanks for the advice and encouragement.

Back