HPI Evo hopups?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hanzo

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hi. What hopups are available for the HPI Evo? Is it the same car as the SS? What do you recommend right away to hopup?

It is the same layout design as the SS it just has some better upgrades out of the box. Read this page http://www.hpiracing.com/index2.htm it tells you what parts are new to the kit and what is the same.

What do you recommend that I hopup though?

adjustable turnbuckels and tie rods!,with the factory 2 speed and higher hp, you need to be able to control it!:wasted:

I am just warming up the engine and trying to break it in. After a few minutes, the engine cuts out when idling. This is my first tank of fuel. What should I do?

What do you mean? Any hopups you recommend?

What u mean by lean out the low end? :cheers:

When you say leaning it means changing the air/fuel ratio. So you'd have less fuel going into the engine compared to the air going in.

Generally on break in, the engine is running incredibly rich (more fuel than air) and it will tend to load up (some fuel isn't being burnt) and then it can get to the point where the engine won't run.

I'll bet after you run, if you have the exhaust pipe facing the ground, some green nasty looking stuff drips out? That's signs of running rich.

========================================

There's three possible settings on a carbeurator (which regulates the air/fuel ratio) you'll have low speed, high speed and mid speed needle. The low speed needle regulates the air/fuel ratio at the low rpm...mostly near idle. You have the mid speed needle for the middle part of the rpm range, and then the high speed needle for high rpm range.

Generally you only mess with the low and high speed needle.

Last edited:
Yes. The stuff is coming out. How do I make it lean?

Jonser don't know if you have looked at the new evo but it comes with then new t-15 motor and a factory two speed. It seems like it is much better than the RS43 RTR. First thing you should honestly get is a motor saver airfilter this was my first upgrade the stock air filter is junk. I would also recommend looking into a fuel filter as well. Depending on how much you get into tuning your car you may want to get some adjustable turn buckles as these offer a lot of tire tuning options. Later

Originally posted by hanzo
Yes. The stuff is coming out. How do I make it lean?

Yep, it's rich. Here's what to do. First read your manual. It should tell you where on the carbeurator the LSN (Low Speed Needle) is.

Here's how to go rich or lean. Rich is a counter-clockwise turn, while lean is clockwise.

So for the LSN, do about a 1/8 turn lean. See if you can keep the engine running. Generally, you want to run the engine on break in as rich as it will run. This will keep the engine well lubricated.

During break in, I generally will get the green gross stuff in the exhaust, so don't worry about that if you do an idle tank and still find it in there. Totally normal IMO

Also, each tank, it will start to get more broken in, and sometimes will no longer stay running at the current settings, so I will maybe lean it out just a tad...but only enough to keep it running.

Ok. Now the throttle is messed up. part of the arm broke off so it can't be in neutral. What part do u guys recommend?

Originally posted by joneser4u
adjustable turnbuckels and tie rods!,with the factory 2 speed and higher hp, you need to be able to control it!:wasted:
READ??????????????thats what I said???????????The fuel filter and air filter are good ideas toooooooo!:whack:

Last edited:
i had the Evo since mid of August.....did a couple of mods and hopup to it too. Since then i had not change any broken or wear out parts. this thing is very durable!

Back