HPI 18SS or Fantom .15

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snikkari

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
HPI 18SS or Fantom .15
Wich engine is more powerful, I am loking for more torque and midrange, I currently have HPI T-15 and I find it a bit slow.

* HPI T-15
---Horse Power: 1.2hp @ 29,000 RPM

* Fantom FR15 '03 Pullstart ENGINE, Side EXHAUST and SLIDE CARB
---Horsepower 1.25hp
---RPM max 42,500

* Fantom also has a new .18 Engine out (although I don't know what the specs are)

* HPI 18SS
---HP 1.5
---Max RPM 40,000

* Wasp .18
---HP: 1.50
---RPM: 36,000

It looks like as far as HP goes, the HPI has more than the Fantom. The fantom basically has the same HP as what you have right now. But the Wasp also has the same HP as the 18SS except the RPM is lower, but the wasp is also about $50 cheaper. See if you can find out what the new Fantom .18 is rated for? Hope this helped any.

Later....

Well, I have been in the RC hobby long enough to know that numbers on paper only tell half the story, I have seen smaller displacement engines outrun bigger engines. Its all about torque and thats what I am looking for.
Tourque is what the manufacturers should be giving out instead of horsepower.
I know for sure that the Wasp .18 PRO is more powerful than the HPI 18SS, but the HPI engine is more reliable, I live in Iceland and it is often hard to get parts here.

I was wondering if anybody had tried these engines, it would be nice to hear their story.