Hpi .15 weird issues

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D STEPANOV

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Ok so today I started to try and tune a engine for one of the rs4 I rebuild, few issues strange ones, I spent hours reading though the members posts here and I thank all I learn much today, but I can't figure out one issue, seams to literally be one issue

When open throttle it begins to act like its to lean, i started from factory base with all flush needles and went from there, I must say I noticed I had to lean the lsn considerably more than what seams to be the normal, the hsn is about 1/3 twice to the lean side, it responds alright in the idle to about 15% throttle nice and responsive and smoke levels constant bit not too smoke like a cloud, if throttle slowly to 50% seams fine too maybe Tiny bit sluggy or bog but really so small, when at about 75% it begins to bog and will cut out if I continue, when I let off throttle it tries to cut and needs small throttle stabs to keep it going until it settles, it will resettle and idle fine after, I riched it slightly on the lsn and it begins to sound a bit boggy and terrible acceleration and fuel spits, so I'm happy the lsn is ok, the hsn if I richen it I get slower sluggish acceration and at about the same point of 75% it cuts, so when I tune it to respond fast like good performance it still do the same? Now I looked at some very technical stuffs on here and wanted to ask about possibilities it could be one of these things
I think it could be the open point of the carbon is wrong like its going over and letting to much fuel in and starving of air
The engine is second hand and damaged before me and I can't figure out what is damaged etc

What does you think? Hpi. 15 I. A nitro rs4, any help appreciated

I would make sure your carb is set at the right idle gap I would tune back to factory settings and let it run for atleast a half a tank idling to warm it up and then try and tune from there. If this doesn’t not work it will possible need to be torn apart and rebuild from scratch. Any questions or concerns feel free to message me.

Ok so today I started to try and tune a engine for one of the rs4 I rebuild, few issues strange ones, I spent hours reading though the members posts here and I thank all I learn much today, but I can't figure out one issue, seams to literally be one issue

When open throttle it begins to act like its to lean, i started from factory base with all flush needles and went from there, I must say I noticed I had to lean the lsn considerably more than what seams to be the normal, the hsn is about 1/3 twice to the lean side, it responds alright in the idle to about 15% throttle nice and responsive and smoke levels constant bit not too smoke like a cloud, if throttle slowly to 50% seams fine too maybe Tiny bit sluggy or bog but really so small, when at about 75% it begins to bog and will cut out if I continue, when I let off throttle it tries to cut and needs small throttle stabs to keep it going until it settles, it will resettle and idle fine after, I riched it slightly on the lsn and it begins to sound a bit boggy and terrible acceleration and fuel spits, so I'm happy the lsn is ok, the hsn if I richen it I get slower sluggish acceration and at about the same point of 75% it cuts, so when I tune it to respond fast like good performance it still do the same? Now I looked at some very technical stuffs on here and wanted to ask about possibilities it could be one of these things
I think it could be the open point of the carbon is wrong like its going over and letting to much fuel in and starving of air
The engine is second hand and damaged before me and I can't figure out what is damaged etc

What does you think? Hpi. 15 I. A nitro rs4, any help appreciated

Cking gave good tips ,but if you have already walked all over your settings with no cure ,chances are that your carb needles
o-rings are toast ,meaning they have harden over time an are leaking like a siff giving you an unstable tune ,thats why you
have been having to lean it. The needles are bleeding more fuel in internal causing the engine flooding.As you did say it is
old an we all know the model is old!
With the way it stands right now ,you may not find parts to fix it ,so you may have to purchase a different brand engine
for it!....Good luck my friend!...:cool:

Last edited:
No idea really, it was never mine and know nothing of its history etc, I have a few engines on the way I got 3 chassis to restore in total ? I choose a peak engine, orion engine and lrp engine as for the original 15 size engines I will strip and sell parts probably ?

Sounded like your LSN is a bit too rich, just try to close it 1/8 at a time.

Sounds like I need a new forum ? goodbye ? ? this place full of bad advisors for engine and clueless people

I especially like the warm friendly goodbye. I respond with my friendly goodbye to you with my hand in the fully upright position with my index, ring, and pinky finger lowered to the relaxed position.
It amazes me that somebody would show up and ask a question and if they are not happy with the answers then we are the bad advisors and clueless people.
Did you not show up and ask a question?

Hard to diagnose any engine over a forum any way ,theres a lot of factors that play ,like fuel pressure to the tank ,tank seal ,
dirty fuel tank ,dried up needle O-rings ,leaky head or loose head bolts ,cold weather ,bad glow plug!

I right now am battling dried up needle O-rings an is acting like the way your engine is doing ,can't tune a rotted carb.
that is 12 years old!

This is an awesome forum with very nice and knowledgeable people. Obviously not the place for you.

With any used engine I inspect it first. I check the compression with a gauge, clean it good and reset the carb back to factory needle settings. Check the glow plug and check all screws. Then I try and run it. With older models I add a fuel filter. You may have to clean he carb out as crap could have got inside blocking the fuel flow.

Back