How to tell if shocks are blown out

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truggy83

RCTalk Talkaholic
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
Sitting idle, my revo's rear end sags more than the front. It has a picco engine in so I am not sure if the extra weight makes it sag or what. Also when I press down on the suspension, it doesn't spring back up, it just kinda stays most of the way down until I pick it up than the wheels go back. Are my springs or shocks gone? Also it sits lower to the ground than I would like. Wished I could get a higher ground clearance.

Is your chassis and shock bodies covered in oil? Try adjusting your shock collars. You can put your push rod ball ends in the inside hole of your a arms to get more ride height.

I don't see any kind of shock fluid leakage that I can tell. Should I adjust the shock collars so it compresses the spring more?

you can adjust the pre-load by turning the upper spring mount which will give you more ride height or adjust the mounting location of the suspension pushrod in the a-arms. The inside holes will give the most ride height while the outside will give the lowest ride.

I would look at the spring chart in the traxxas revo manual and take it up 1 or 2 rates. You may be able to adjust the pre-load, but that only gives you limited results.

Pull one of you shocks off and remove the spring. Compress the shock. It should come back out on its own a little. Your shocks may be low on oil. Or the oil is so thick its holding the shock in place. Just rebuilt mine oil was way to thick went to a 30 and they work much better

I turned the adjusters in on the shocks and that definitely helped on the front and somewhat on the back. The back springs back just fine when it's in the air but when it's sitting on its wheels and you push it down, it does not spring back up as far as the front.

Just do a full rebuild. It's easy to do. Try 40-50k shock oil and the stock springs. The springs are there to help the shock push out and the shock takes the spring out of the spring so that it absorbs the bumps instead of bouncing over them

Is there a rebuild kit that comes with new springs for this model?

If they're not leaking all you need is stiffer springs and the oil of your choice.

Also make sure you don't have the front and rear springs mixed up on your truck.

Ok thanks I will check, is there a way to determine what springs go in the front and in the back

Thanks I will try getting some stiffer springs for the back, the front feels fine the way it is though, thanks guys