How to remove HPI Nitro RS4 threaded pinion gears

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gandalfnz

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
Hey Guys

I have ordered a smaller pinion gear for the HPI nitro RS4 clutch bell.
I am not thinking how the heck can I remove the old one and install a new one without damaging the fragile aluminum gears?

Any of you have experience with this?

Another one of those "what were they thinking" HPI designs...

Thanks

1653379222110.png
1653379267446.png

I would use cloth and vise with locking pliers. Might be able to use locking pliers and a flathesd and chisel it loose?

Maybe heat?

Heat it. Then use a piece of hardwood on a tooth and smack it with a mallet. It probably has a little threadlock on it.

If you have a drill bit the size of the clutch bell, take two pieces of wood, clamp them together with a thinner piece of wood separating them, and drill the hole down the center of the thin piece of wood. The thin piece can then be discarded. This will create a set of soft jaws to clamp around the clutch bell so you don't deform it in the vise. It would be better to drill the hole smaller than the clutch bell than bigger.
Untitled108_20220524062716.png

Last edited:
Heat it. Then use a piece of hardwood on a tooth and smack it with a mallet. It probably has a little threadlock on it.

If you have a drill bit the size of the clutch bell, take two pieces of wood, clamp them together with a thinner piece of wood separating them, and drill the hole down the center of the thin piece of wood. The thin piece can then be discarded. This will create a set of soft jaws to clamp around the clutch bell so you don't deform it in the vise. It would be better to drill the hole smaller than the clutch brll than bigger.
View attachment 147235
Thanks Wicked!

What a brilliant idea.

Thank you very much, I will make one soon and try this out.
I have the tools and the material.