How to properly set Digital Servo Endpoints

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey Guys,

I am having an issue learning to set my digital servos endpoints. I have just started upgrading to digital servos and I have heard that if you don't set the endpoints right you can burn them up. Question is... how do you do this properly? Are you listening for a sound when you have the servo cranked to one side? I mean it is hard to tell the difference since a digital servo chatters anyway. I need to learn how to do this not only for the knowledge, but because I don't have a $100 always lying around to replace these things when I do burn them out. Thanks guys.

Tom

Tom, I put the rig on a stand with nothing powered up but the servo, with the steering linkage all hooked up. Turn slowly in each direction till you get mechanical bind and you'll hear the servo whining. Then use the endpoint adjustment to back the travel off until the servo gets quiet. They generally only chatter when trying to center themselves in my experience so on the stand with no load on them they should be quiet.

Another check is after doing the above, have the servo at it's limit and see if you can adjust it to move a hair farther. If you can, back it back off to it's safe end point.
You can also do this by holding the limit (either by trigger or wheel) just short of the max throw, and as you lower the set point on the radio, increase the input by using the radio. When you give maximum Rx input without hitting the max throw of the servo, you're good.

Thanks guys. Sounds a little complicated...lol! I'm sure I can follow those directions though....just takes practice I imagine.

Thanks guys. Sounds a little complicated...lol! I'm sure I can follow those directions though....just takes practice I imagine.

Honestly it's really easy. Put it up on the stand, crank the wheel full right, listen for the whine, back off the end point adjustment until it stops whining, done. Rinse and repeat for the other side. I do usually take a couple extra clicks off just for good measure.

Thanks man! I appreciate the great explanation. I should be able to get this done now.