How Much Weight Does Aluminum Upgrades Add?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arawak420

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
i was thinking when i get some extra cheese to add the aluminum upgrades:
shock towers
shocks
aluminum skids front, rear, and bottom, and gas tank protector
bulkheads
lower and upper arms, tie rods. i think GPM makes nice ones but not really sure
what will all this cost I?
what manufacturers do you prefer for these items?

heres is the link to the skids and gas protector what do you think of this guys designs?

thanks guys for your thoughts. i like this forum as it is very informative.

those 40series tires and rims are quite nice i might add.

Well personally I just care for aluminum towers from Nova and the Motor mount.Plus when I am ready I will get the diff cups. All these are for my savage. I beleive if you make a complete aluminum ride and you hit something all will bend. Something has got to give. I say make a hybrid if you must but not the whole thing

jon2 said:
Well personally I just care for aluminum towers from Nova and the Motor mount.Plus when I am ready I will get the diff cups. All these are for my savage. I beleive if you make a complete aluminum ride and you hit something all will bend. Something has got to give. I say make a hybrid if you must but not the whole thing

I agree.. I would say that AL diff housings and diff cups are a great investment but using AL arms and skid plates is a BAD idea. As jon2 said something has to give.. Plastic absorbs impact and AL bends.

it already has al diff cups. i was going to invest in skids and towers first and then bulkheads. i'll just get and extra pair lower plastic arms and keep them on reserve. the truck came with 2 pairs of upper arms one set adjustable, and one set not.

My experience with Al skids is that when you hit something they bend very easily. A center would be good but the ones the stick up and out bend very easily.

cool deal. what do you thin k about this gas tank gaurd? good or bad?

arawak420 said:
it already has al diff cups. i was going to invest in skids and towers first and then bulkheads. i'll just get and extra pair lower plastic arms and keep them on reserve. the truck came with 2 pairs of upper arms one set adjustable, and one set not.
They DO? Man that is freaking awesome! Wonder how they look like! ANyone got pics of their diff cups?

what do you think about steering knuckles?

jon2 said:
They DO? Man that is freaking awesome! Wonder how they look like! ANyone got pics of their diff cups?

pics for you jon2

the hex note are aluminum as well. the thrid pic were it comes out the diff and into the transmission are wrapped in steel. is it ok to use heavy duty lithium grease for the diff gear?

damn the diff gear was wide open prior to assembly. i wish i had known to use silicon wieght lube, before i bought lithium grease. i didn't use what hpi has in the kit. i used lithium for the gears because it is what i used in full scale vehicles.

Is the knuckle Cast iron or Aluminum? They look strong. As far as Diff grease. I would personally replace it with SIlicone Diff oil. It lasts longer than diff grease IMO.

plastic. damn i need to clean it out and add some diff silicon oil

Sorry I am thinking 1/8th scale. You do have plastic c hubs and holders.

Back