how much more run time a 7-cell will get you than a 6

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmoyer

RCTalk Qualifier
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey ya'll,
i just got my e-maxx yesterday on my bday and I'm in love wiht it. i only have 2 6 cell batteries and looking to get 2 7-cell, how much more run itme will i get out of the 7-cells?

thanx,
pmoyers son

Depending on the mah, it should be a 5 to 8 min. run time difference.

Originally posted by Team 17
Depending on the mah, it should be a 5 to 8 min. run time difference.

Incorrect to a point. Just because they are 7 cells will not increase runtime, if your going from 2400's to 3000's then you'd see an advantage in runtime.

7 cell packs will increase voltage and speed. If they are the same MAH cells they will give a decreased runtime from 6 cell packs because of the heat build up in the motor.

Sorry. I always thought it gave a little more run time as well. I stand corrected. Thanx.

pmoyer - 7 cells will give u less run time not more. VOLTS equals power, MILLIAMPS equals run time. The more volts (8.4 vs 7.2) the less run time. If you want more run time, upgrade to a set of 3300 sanyo 6 cell packs.

Originally posted by Wardo
If they are the same MAH cells they will give a decreased runtime from 6 cell packs because of the heat build up in the motor.

If they are the same MAH why would it decrease runtime? Wouldn't it be the same? Are you saying that you'd have to run the 7th cell at a higher MAh to achieve the same runtimes? If so, how come?

the more volts u use, the faster the engine is turning, which will make it drain faster. Yes, if you up to 8.4V u will get less run time with the same MA.

To add to Nitroaddicts reply.....

If the motor was 100% efficiant(sp?) it would equal close to the same run time. Since that is impossible the added voltage will be converted to heat/resistance and sapp charge from the pack also.

All math aside, your run time will be less with 7 cells and I'll tell you why. You will love how the E-Maxx runs on 7 cells so much, you won't be able to keep your finger out of the throttle ! I never sat down and figured it out but the E-Maxx is a completely different animal on 7 cells. No need for motor hop-ups, the Titans on 7 cells rock.

Now I need a beer. Thanks for the confusion guy's.

NA put forth the stick in this concept. The motor's drain on the battery varies depending on rpms. If the engine drain were constant, you would get the same runtime from the same mAH batteries. The added voltage would increase revs and therefore speed. However, the added speed that the extra cell provides actually slightly increases current draw by the motor and will slightly reduce runtime when compared to a similar pack with one less cell.

But I guess to keep it simple, adding batteries increases speed but not runtime.
Increasing the mAH rating of your batteries increases runtime but not speed.

I hear tell that if you hold your tongue just right and mercury and pluto are aligned and on odd days of the month with a full charge on batteries that were purchased using a mastercard, not a visa, very important, not a visa, and you used paper not plastic, you might get a run times close to that of a nitro powered vehicle. But only in the southern hemisphere. Runs times are much longer in the northern hemisphere due to the higher density air. Ah, heck, can I get one of those beers ?

Actually runtime is greater in the Northern Hemisphere for a nitrol engine because the nitro swirls in the opposite direction when being sucked from the fuel tank. It's a well documented fact... :wtf:

Back