how long till you hit second gear

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revo-839

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hey guys,
I was just wondering how long it takes your Revo how long it takes to hit 2nd gear. i was playing outside and it took any where from 4 to 5 seconds. If that is to long should i keep leaning out the HSN. temps outside are 25-30 and the truck is runing from the top of the head 250 and from the side 230.

Rolex the man i have been waiting for all day. are my RPMS getting high enough to shift.

Linking back to your other tuning thread, you had stated the engine isn't running well above half throttle. That will delay your shifting and if it's bogging too much you may not even see second gear.

Good point. Is it running good? Is it taking off well and keeping a consistent run with good RPM? Does it sound good, or does it sputter?

if i give it wot it is about 2-3 sec which is most of it getting up to speed.

The temp you mentioned above is good. If you are gettin a good punch on take off, it's good. If it's a bit sluggish, you should lean the LSN about 1/16th of a turn, and see if that improves it. If it's not sputtering or stalling, and is getting good RPMs with WOT, it would be a shift point adjustment.
When you have the Allen key in the adjustment hole, think of adjusting it the way you would adjust a clock.
It's now at noon. You want it to shift earlier? Turn it counter clockwise to eleven. (Eleven being earlier than noon) Want it later? Turn it to one.
You might have to do it 2 or 3 times, in small increments, before you get it where you like it.

Sorry guys had to see the tax guy, I when't out before we left and started to play with it again. see if i'm heading in the right direction. warmed up the motor, get it to temps ran it leaned the HSN ran it start to cut out, so instead of going to the leaning the LSN I richen it , then whent back to the HSN adn leaned a little start picking up speed a little faster. Had to stop playing with because could not see the thing in the dark. I forgot to take temps so we will see tomorrow.I'm i close or really far off on tuning my baby :shrug:

You'll be confusing the issue if you keep messing with both needles. When you run it tomorrow, get it to temp, make several WOT runs with it, do a temp check, do the pinch test, then tell me exactly what you got with each.

This past weekend, while breaking in my wife's T-Maxx, I decided to fire up my Revo. I was running on flat asphalt in my RV storage yard. It was about 65F out.

Anyhow, in the past, the Revo would shift later than I preferred while running on asphalt. However, on dirt, it was perfect. Something to consider when setting up the drive.

Also, this last weekend, it was delaying the shift even more, upwards of WOT for 3-4 seconds at full speed (acceleration done) and it sounded like it was hitting 50K RPM. Suspecting it finally needed adjustment, when I got home I reset the Opti drive and throttle trim per the manual, and then moved the HSN back 1/8, and adjusted the shift point to 'sooner' by 1/16th. Fixed the issue. And it should be noted I was not having any throttle or engine issues before this adjustment. My exhaust note had a nice crackle to it, enough blue smoke trail to confirm oil was getting where it should, and a real clean idle and throttle take off.

Last edited:
Back