Hey Guys! I'm New At This So Please Help Me

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellMortimer

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
hey guys, I just got my 1:10 scale nitro powerd touring car "2 speed" , but I'm having troble starting it, the guy at the store where i bought it showed me how to do it but right after i got out of the store....i just forgot everything he said. He did that 3.5 turns for the needle "this is my first gas rc car...so bear with me plz" so that i havent touched, i also let fuel go into the carbutetor first. then i insert that starter thing into the glow thing and lock it there..that i know how to do..so then i pull the cord to start it...but nothing, at first the engine ran just fine..but i was just testing it..so i shut off really fast IT WAS WEIRD. That was yesturday. so now right when I'm ready to rip...its not ripping...the engine wont even start at all..and the cord seems to be xtra harder this time around. I also performed some trick they have in the manual for u that u flip the car over so the raw fuel will leak out off of the carburator..but when i tried to start the engine again..nothing...I'm FRUSTRATED NOW >=(...PLEASEEE HELP ME

if it got really hard to pull the cord, you most likely flooded the engine. Remove the glow plug first then turn it upside down and pull the cord a few times to get the fuel out of the engine. While the plug is out put it in the glow igniter and make sure it glows bright, if not the plug is bad or the battery in the igniter is dead. Make sure you use needle nose pliers as the plug will get hot if it is good.

Hey Mortimer, Welcome to RCNT. The BEST RC forum in the world!!!

It "can" be frustrating when your new to nitro to learn how to start and tune your engine. The best advise I can give you is to be patient. I myself am VERY impatient and almost got out of the hobby in the beginning because of the exact same problems you are having. It gets easier, trust me.

Having said that the next best piece of advice would be to use the "Search" function. We have racers, bashers, LHS people, distributors, and manufacturers here on the site and there is a TON of great info to be found here.

But since this is your first post I'll go easy on you. Check out this link for some good info. This was in a buggy thread but all nitro engines are basically the same.
https://www.rcnitrotalk.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&postid=87140#post87140

before i cheack that link out, i have to say something..i tried to start the engine again...this time i noticed that when i pulled the cord..there seemed to be fuel leaking out of the exahaust pipe ?! does this mean anything...THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS..if this doesn't work itll be better if i just take it to the store i bought it from and ask for some help.

before i cheack that link out, i have to say something..i tried to start the engine again...this time i noticed that when i pulled the cord..there seemed to be fuel leaking out of the exahaust pipe ?! does this mean anything...THANKS FOR THE HELP GUYS..if this doesn't work itll be better if i just take it to the store i bought it from and ask for some help.:angry:

Fuel comming out of the exhaust is fine. Youve probably just flooded the engine (too much fuel). This can explain why its so hard to pull the cord. Liquid is much much harder to compress than air. This condition is called Hydro Lock. Take the glow plug out, put a rag over top, the turn the ride upside down and pull the cord a couple times. This will force the fuel out.

Follow the link, put everything back together and try to start it again, 'without' priming it.

whats priming ? I took the glow plug out, tested it and it glowed just fine..then with the plug out i pulled the cord to check if the piston was moving, and it was. So then i turned the body upside down and let all the fuel out and the cord was so easy to pull so thats good news right ?! theres nothing broken. So i put some fuel in the tank, about half an inch , cover the exhaust with my finger and pulled the cord a few times so the fuel would get inot the engine....so whatever..when i tried to start it...same deal. I had to do that same proccess all over again. What could i possibly be doing wrong.?

priming is getting fuel to the engine prior to starting, covering the exhaust with your finger and pulling the cord is priming it, sounds like you are priming it too much. Is your fuel line clear? Only prime it until the fuel reaches the carb, then try starting it. Also put more fuel in the tank, at least over the halfway point of the tank.

i read in the manual something about loosening up the glow plug..when this happens..so i did, guess what dude it worked..i had to pull the cord like 50 times like at 200 mph tho. that was a good work out. "But" since i was kinda pissed and frustrated and packing all those weird feelings, ui forgot to put the batterries in the body, and the radio was off. when that thing started it just fiddlesticking flew and hit the wall..lucky it was only about a feet away .I freaked out for like 1 minutes cuz everything was so quiet and ur listening to the wind outside and the sound of a loud ass engine is something ur not not expecting after all thats happened. I'm gonna try to start it again to make sure what just happened wasn't luck. Oh and can u please explain what this break in engine deal...AGAIN THANKS FOR THE HELP!

I did it again..but right when i thought it was the end...the sequel came along. Ok u i know that I'm irritating u robriguez with all these questions but this time it too was in full throttle, just flying right after i started it... this time i was smart enought to put the body in my lap so the tires wouldnt touch the ground, i tried to slow it down but it wasent responding..What Noowww ??????!?!?!:flaming:

Dude your funny.

Nah man your not annoying anyone. We understand. At some point we have ALL been exactly where you are. Lets answer some questions....

-By loosening the glow plug 1/4 turn you lower the amount of compression in the engine. On a brand new engine this can help you get it started. Once its started and idling, you want to use your glow plug wrench and tighten it back down again. Dont leave it loose.

-Break in is the term that describes the steps used to make all the moving parts of the engine seat properly. Proper break in allows the piston and the sleeve inside the engine to match up together and form a tight seal that will allow for more power and longer life in the long run.

-Batteries are good. Batteries are your friend! Pleas don't forget the "fully charged" batteries.

-Before even trying to start your car you should take a few seconds to make sure that all your electronics are working properly. Turn your radio on, turn your car on (always in that order). Turn your steering to make sure the wheels turn smooth and fast. Move the throttle to make sure it moves smoothly. The throttle servo will be attached to a linkage and then the carburetor. The carburetor should be fully closed when your not on the throttle. You can see what I'm talking about if you remove the air filter and look down into the hole under it. Just watch the servo arm as it moves. Give it full throttle and let go of the lever. Then apply full break. When you apply break does the carb close even more than when it was in neutral? If so you will need to adjust your Throttle trim on your radio. This could be why the car took off on you even tho you had the batteries in and werent touching the throttle.

Its all about getting the right amount of fuel and air into the engine. Sometimes it takes 200 pulls in the beginning to make that perfect combination happen. Once you start getting used to how your ride works you can get that down to 5-10 pulls. If you get really good, it could be 1-3 pulls. There is light at the end of the tunnel.

I'm just getting wiser by the minute here, ok good news...now it wont go forward as fast....but i guess thats just the trhim throttle thing, that i can easily take care of..but now when i brake the engine would just shut off. Is this supose to happen. oh and one more thing, do all gas rc cars have to be start with the chasis off? cuz i think having to connect the chasis to the body after u start the car is something those dudes at rc gas car making completetly left behind...
"i freak out everytime i start the enigne"" is this normal:cheers:

Ok I went throught this on my RTR 3 and I finally got it to scream. First of all, don't worry about the speed of your car cuz you haven't tuned it that way just yet. Try re-adjusting the carb setting so you have a small opening when you have the car at idle. See if it closes when the brake is applied. If so the you will have to playwith the setting on the brake lever. Your car dies cuz when the brake is applied the carb opening is closed up thus killing engine. Just like a life size engine no air and the engine stops.

As far as the body issue..If you cut out the proper ventilation holes you have a pretty good chance on starting the car. Just cut out a hole big enough for the glow igniter. I don't know if you have a pull starter still but if you do you can try pulling it out of one of the vents but you might consider putting some tape on the side of the hole it rubs on so it doesn't fray. Good Luck!! Nitro is fun just don't rush !!

aaahhhh, been there when I first got my r/c.... When you hit the brakes and the engine died, the carb is closing too much or all the way. There should be little screw next to the filter opening on the carb. That's your idle screw. With the engine off and the filter off so you can look down, turn the electronics on and hit the brakes. See if it closes all the way or has a little opening still. You don't want it closed all the way. Engine will die. Also, how's the car idling? Lift the car up. Does the wheels spin at a slow rate, but when you put the car down, the car doesn't roll?

Mortimer I was there about six months ago. Didn't have the net at my disposal at the time so I had to figure it out on my own. Be glad you have found RCNT to help you out. These guys will give you lots of good advice on what you may need to do. Later

Mortimer, you are reminding me of myself when I started getting into nitro cars. I went through the same thing except that I built my car. I even went through it, just recently, again when I converted my car to a nonpull engine. Had to figure out how to align the cars flywheel with the rubber starting wheel and some other stuff. All in all, it took me 2 days and sleepless nights to figure it out with the help via phone calls to nitromaniac! He told me something that we all know but always forget in our frustrations.

Step back, calm down and go over everything again. If you still can't get it, grab a beer and calm down but most of all , ask for help. You've already asked for help, now help yourself to a beer or 2.

Welcome to the world of Nitro.

OH, to help you with your priming of the fuel ... wipe the stinger clean and blow into it. As you do this you will see the fuel rise up. As it reaches the nipple of the carb stop. Plug in your glowstarter, give it a zing. If all your settings are set, it should start up within 5 pulls. If not, lean it out A LITTLE BIT. Nitromaniac told me this same thing. Apparently I wasn't paying attention and leaned it out too much. The engine screamed and I got a face full of exhaust. (I was making sure the alignment of the flywheel was correct and my face was eyelevel with the car) Needless to say, I shut it down quick because it scared the crap outta me!

Be patient. Check and recheck. It'll start soon enough.

Last edited:
Back