Heres a pic of my New brake kit lol

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andrew1

RCTalk Member
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
its the hpi stainless steel brake kit with better brake pads for safety
heres a pic of my new motor 2;DD...
any questions comments please reply to this posting..

Attachments

• 04142011_002.jpg
    04142011_002.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 02222011_002.jpg
    02222011_002.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 163
wow

A .30 in the short savage. Man that is going to be fun.
I've got the same motor in an XL based rigged. I've only
got about 10 tanks of fuel ran through it so far.

Is there still a problem with the brake pads tearing off
with that brake set up?

Tell us how the brakes perform, been thinking about doing the same thing to my rig.

what CB and spur did you use?
And what starter system you using?

i have same engine and chassis, i am using a losi spin start back plate. I have not yet , but have to mod the bulk head to get my spin start shaft to line up with the opening.

Last edited:
The SS brakes were pretty decent but you have to be pretty careful not to get them wet or fuel on them. I personally never had a problem with the pad tearing off but I know a lot of people had. I eventually went with the dual fiberglass pads. Those were good brakes for me though, worked well for several years. I also have a LRP .30 in mine... but it is extended and very modded so a big heavier. That HAS to be a fun engine in the truck too. At 10 tanks you are only starting to see the potential of the engine.

There is one draw back to stainless disc just like the ones one motorcycles when water gets on them they don't stop very well.:whhooo:

wow

A .30 in the short savage. Man that is going to be fun.
I've got the same motor in an XL based rigged. I've only
got about 10 tanks of fuel ran through it so far.

Is there still a problem with the brake pads tearing off
with that brake set up?

in a matter of fact the pads just ripped off today while in use..
is there any way to prevent this>??
so I'm guessing I'm going to buy new brake pads?..

Tell us how the brakes perform, been thinking about doing the same thing to my rig.

what i like about these brake you would have so much more "bite" with these
brakes.. but as i wrote already theres a situation where it like rips off the brake pad? but for $15 i would recomomend these

what CB and spur did you use?
And what starter system you using?

i have same engine and chassis, i am using a losi spin start back plate. I have not yet , but have to mod the bulk head to get my spin start shaft to line up with the opening.

cb by clutch bell? you mean if so I'm using the 1 that came with my previous motor wich was a S-25..?
i am running a 40 something tooth spur ithink.. i can double chek if you like..

my lrp.30 is a pullstart..

The SS brakes were pretty decent but you have to be pretty careful not to get them wet or fuel on them. I personally never had a problem with the pad tearing off but I know a lot of people had. I eventually went with the dual fiberglass pads. Those were good brakes for me though, worked well for several years. I also have a LRP .30 in mine... but it is extended and very modded so a big heavier. That HAS to be a fun engine in the truck too. At 10 tanks you are only starting to see the potential of the engine.

So what pads would you recomend? because of the matter mines ripped apart some how>?

There is one draw back to stainless disc just like the ones one motorcycles when water gets on them they don't stop very well.:whhooo:

so you would recomened the fiberglass brake package?

I built an X SS years ago for a buddy and we put the dual disc brakes on it.
I can't remember how often but i do remember installing new brake pads very very often on that thing.

I'll be putting the fiberglass kit on my setup shortly.

I went to the fiberglass on both of my Nitro Savages and i like them....a bit touchy but really stop you quick. E-Bay Link
Te927guy4Rr0ec62nbIHeogK5Ih_IrUTYCSGkCA6ul3JwM3lAKDTkAMwk01vgn4Y5UjnVj4r7h3qoNTWboQm7usFZwdaZB8RLFTZOG-abMcdPTsQc_Ka2X_ALL9IyvPvnMlAJRYD4KBhqhVSbpXvMfdv0GPO_Jfxng

TY Andrew,
was just wondering, it has been recommended to me that i use a 18T clutchbell and 47T Spur since i still running the 2speed trans.
So I am on this site trying to get an idea if the info i got was in the ball park

I built an X SS years ago for a buddy and we put the dual disc brakes on it.
I can't remember how often but i do remember installing new brake pads very very often on that thing.

I'll be putting the fiberglass kit on my setup shortly.

by often are we talking about everymonth? lmao cause ithink ima go to my lhs to go pick some up

I went to the fiberglass on both of my Nitro Savages and i like them....a bit touchy but really stop you quick. E-Bay Link
Te927guy4Rr0ec62nbIHeogK5Ih_IrUTYCSGkCA6ul3JwM3lAKDTkAMwk01vgn4Y5UjnVj4r7h3qoNTWboQm7usFZwdaZB8RLFTZOG-abMcdPTsQc_Ka2X_ALL9IyvPvnMlAJRYD4KBhqhVSbpXvMfdv0GPO_Jfxng

how do they compare to the stainless steel brake kit?
and whats that cream thingy lmaoXD

TY Andrew,
was just wondering, it has been recommended to me that i use a 18T clutchbell and 47T Spur since i still running the 2speed trans.
So I am on this site trying to get an idea if the info i got was in the ball park

i think I'm running the 47tooth and i also am running the same transmission that cam with my Savage 25.. I've heard people say i can transmission problems but idont really know what there talking about to be honest.. i use my truck alot at times but i only strip spurs... But i fixxed that with setting my gear mesh ...

but i get curous at times how a hpi 3speed would run with a lrp motor

The fiber brakes stop much faster than the SS brakes. Actually they are a bit grabby and you need to be careful to not do front flips. But all in all they are a good brake set-up since there are no pads to tear or wear out. You get a tube of grease and lock tite with the kit. Grease is for the dogbone going into the brake hex.

The fiber brakes stop much faster than the SS brakes. Actually they are a bit grabby and you need to be careful to not do front flips. But all in all they are a good brake set-up since there are no pads to tear or wear out. You get a tube of grease and lock tite with the kit. Grease is for the dogbone going into the brake hex.

so you would say there better then the stainless steal brake kit?
because I'm either going to buy these or just more brake pads..
but with this brake set up there isnt no wear on the brake pads of it just wears on the red rotors..

these would fit on a savage 25?

For stopping power and long lasting, yes way better. I would think they should last darn near forever since the rotor is what wears you are correct. Also they will fit any model of Savage.

For stopping power and long lasting, yes way better. I would think they should last darn near forever since the rotor is what wears you are correct. Also they will fit any model of Savage.

thanks frickenjoey for your honest opinion I'm thinking of buying the brake kit now lol

No problem brother....that is what I am here for. I just happen to know Savages pretty well too. ;-)

No problem brother....that is what I am here for. I just happen to know Savages pretty well too. ;-)

since you know about savages you wouldnt happen to know a good spur gear..
for my savage-25?
i was looking at a integy but that looked cheap so i was looking into the Robinison racing spur gear ithink thats what that company is called lol

Yes RR is good stuff but I normally run the standard stock and have no problems. Now If you do decide to go Robinson be SURE to get a good quality hardened bell to go with it. If you don't the spur will eat it in just a few tanks. I did that one...oops.

Yes RR is good stuff but I normally run the standard stock and have no problems. Now If you do decide to go Robinson be SURE to get a good quality hardened bell to go with it. If you don't the spur will eat it in just a few tanks. I did that one...oops.

i hope if you dont mind how does the clutch bell get eaten>? if its steel?

Hardened steel has a higher amount of carbon then normal steel due to the heat treating process it is given, making it much "harder" than non heat treated steel. Therefore it will completly wear away at your CB.

Back