help with my mod putting a hpi 5.9 big block on my 3.3 t maxx

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

watziznutz

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
I wanna put this big block on my truck and wanna see what problems in going to run into and what parts I need to make it happen.I will get it to work in not sure how yet but its going on there.most likely trash out some other parts with all that power but thats how I find the weak links lol any help or comments are appreciated.I realize it may be a bit overdoing it but I bought the motor and didn't realize it was gonna be that much bigger.its holy cow bigger but I have to laugh and I have to make it work just to laugh at the bizerker speed this things gonna push.i have only been able to get my maxx to 52 mph and saw a you tube claim of 70 idk how cuz I've swapped all kinds of gears and 52 was it I had a 24 tooth bell and a 58 tooth spur gear it wouldn't wheelie but had gear for days and all I got was 52 so big block was my next thought and here we are.i got a good deal on the bb only paid 120 so what the heck.thanks for any help with this if all else fails ill get a savage with no motor and bolt it in.I love this hobby.

Just because it's a big block doesn't mean your gunna break your 52mph,you need a higher rpm engine like a .21 buggy mill ...but in any case your gunna need a big block chassis and an engine mount for starters,pipe and header to go with the bb,the Trans gears aren't gunna last long at all so your gunna wind up buying a set of rrp steel

Just because it's a big block doesn't mean your gunna break your 52mph,you need a higher rpm engine like a .21 buggy mill ...but in any case your gunna need a big block chassis and an engine mount for starters,pipe and header to go with the bb,the Trans gears aren't gunna last long at all so your gunna wind up buying a set of rrp steel
Yeah your right I thought that way too. What I figured was with more power I could get a closer ratio on my bell/spur set up the 19/58 took alot of torque from the 3.3 but I figured with the 5.9 I could try a 24tooth bell on a 54 spur gear and that should raise my top end and hopefully still pull a,wheelie.

Thanks for your input I appreciate it. The carb linkage is on the opposite side also I noticed that right off the bat.

There's a screw or nut on the carb neck, loosen it and pull the carb straight up then spin it 180 and push it back in tighten the screw and your linkage is on the side you need.

Like hotrod said your going to need the big block conversion to get it to fit. It should be a handful

Back