Help from the RC experts understanding TX/RX

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joshv

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm new here and have recently been looking into getting all up in the RC world but am having a problem with RX/TX and cannot find much online after some searching, maybe I'm not searching the right thing but here it goes, sorry it's so long.

I think I may be confusing myself at this point, I've probably spent 10hrs trying to understand this and I feel like I'm being a bit dull

Recently got a 3D printer and want to experiment making and printing my own part to make RC things, my list so far is RC: Drone, combat robot, Plane(this will be foam), a boat and maybe some kind of robotic arm using stepper motors. So I've been making parts lists and will just buy parts for 1 build at a time but before I start these projects I want to know if I can use a single transmitter and buy say 5 receivers and put the appropriate receivers in the projects and just bind it to the one I want to use each time?

Thing is with the battlebot for example I need a 3ch (2Wheels 1Weapon) RX that outputs PWM for the ESC/motors and I'm getting caught up in all the different outputs from receivers, So I will need 1 SBUS RX for a drone, 1 PWM RX for all the others? have not looked too far into boat and plane but RX's are mainly built for planes from what I've seen so no worries there and the boat ESC/motors are PWM too I assume, If I buy a TX, say Spektrum on DSMX, I get locked into DSMX RX's, so do they make all the kinds of receivers I would want ie, an SBUS and PWM RX's, I get that each brand has different protocols but outputs confuse me, I have seen the multi protocol transmitter modules and transmitters that come as multi protocol so this shouldn't be an issue if I had one of them I guess?

My questions are basically:

1.Can I have 5 different receivers for different types of RC "toys" (IE plane, drone, boat, etc.) either on same protocol as transmitter OR transmitter with multi protocol and just bind it to the "toy" I want to use that day? Is this simple to do? or do I need different transmitters for different types of RC because I'm limited to their receiver types, ie not ?

2.If answer to 1 is yes yes no, then any budget options out there that play nice for a newby? Don't know if the Radiomaster TX16S or Jumper T16 can do all I'm asking, but could reach to that price if its the only budget multi protocol TX and I've heard good things, or is the best option for me to but TX and multi protocol module?

3.How many channels would you say I need to cover all bases at minimum? I'm assuming 6-8 as I'm still new and just want to get things off the ground no pun intended, but I can extend my budget if there's a "all in one" system out there like the TX16S/T16 that will cover most future adventures too.

Sorry it was so long, I need to work on my writing skills, thank you so much for your time reading and answering :)

You can have 1 radio with a few receivers. we call each different 1 models.. so if you have a radio the will hold 20 model then you can have 20 different radio controlled rc on that1 radio.. you just switch between channels to use that Item..

the thing you want to know is how many channels you need . I always say add the unit you want to control then add 1 more For fan or whatever 1 might need.. we use servos to control movement in like a steering rack

hope whatever 3d printer you have will have a vast range of heat setting so you can print different materials.

You can have 1 radio with a few receivers. we call each different 1 models.. so if you have a radio the will hold 20 model then you can have 20 different radio controlled rc on that1 radio.. you just switch between channels to use that Item..

the thing you want to know is how many channels you need . I always say add the unit you want to control then add 1 more For fan or whatever 1 might need.. we use servos to control movement in like a steering rack

hope whatever 3d printer you have will have a vast range of heat setting so you can print different materials.
Hey TNT,

I see, that makes sense, and is good to know, and the printer is not the best but I'm more interested in concepts and building my own designs, I wont be competing in any competitions, it's just for fun, and so these models on the TX, I could have a drone RX with SBUS as 1 model and 1 RX in a car just on standard PWM channels? And does every company that make TXs and RXs make lots of different types of RXs, so say spektrum running DSMX, they will have a DSMX RX with SBUS for a drones flight controller and another DSMX RX that uses PWM for car ESCs?

Thanks, Josh

I'm really not sure about jumping from sbus to pwm I dont use sbub all my drone operate thru pwm... that's a question you either need to talk to a spectrum user or spectrum them-selves.. and there way more reliable brands then spectrum.I stopped using them many years ago as they dint stay with the quality of radio systems they replaced That was jr ..id take a flysky over a spectrum...