Help for the newbie

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J0edm

RCTalk Rookie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Hello all!

I'm from the uk and I am new to the nitro world.

I'm having trouble getting my HPI RS4 3 evo+, with the t3.0 engine, To start up for the first time..

I'm dying to get it run in so I can rip it up. I've tried just about everything, I've been pulling the pull start for ages I have a blister lol. I have been flooding the engine yes, so I take the glow plug out And pull it a few times to clear chamber.

I've watched a few videos to help me, my glow starter is fully charged and I have tried another glow plug. Fuel must be getting to carb as it's flooding the engine.

Any help would be great please!!

Ps. It's quite cold here at the moment I'm using r5 plugs

Joe

Hello all!

I'm from the uk and I am new to the nitro world.

I'm having trouble getting my HPI RS4 3 evo+, with the t3.0 engine, To start up for the first time..

I'm dying to get it run in so I can rip it up. I've tried just about everything, I've been pulling the pull start for ages I have a blister lol. I have been flooding the engine yes, so I take the glow plug out And pull it a few times to clear chamber.

I've watched a few videos to help me, my glow starter is fully charged and I have tried another glow plug. Fuel must be getting to carb as it's flooding the engine.

Any help would be great please!!

Ps. It's quite cold here at the moment I'm using r5 plugs

Joe

Joe, I have been nitro rc car racing for 30+ years but I have not had a RS4 pull start. My cars are all starter box cars.

To get the engine to run you need fuel, compression and ignition. It sounds like you have fuel but it is probably way too much fuel if you are having to remove the plug to clear the combustion chamber. I suggest that set the carb to factory settings, put in a good HOT plug and make sure your glow plug ignitor is fully charged and try starting the car again.

My #1 suggestion is that you find a local person who is experienced in nitro and ask for their help. This will eliminate 99% of the frustration new nitro people experience. Once the engine is correctly tuned it does not require any significant tuning changes. You will have to make small changes for humidity and temperature but this is usually only to the high speed needle (HSN).

Tuning a nitro engine correctly involves your sense of hearing and sight (at least for me it does) and that is hard to duplicate on a computer screen.

Good luck,

Lee Muse

Hi and thanks for your reply. This is what I have already considered, going to see someone for help.

I will try one more time tomorrow, I read a thread online saying to try making the fuel much richer for first run in the cold, so I will try this.

Also how tight should the plug be? And is it worth pre warming the engine etc?

Thanks

Also all my carb settings have been factory as for now, I will try playing with the low end tomorrow if still no luck.

I'm also going to pre warm the engine and plug!

Well I got it fired up, ran it in for 2 tanks so I'm getting there!! Definitely had trouble because I was using cold plugs.

I pre heated the engine and plug and it fired in one!