Help! Duratrax Overdrive ST

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrduggan88

RC Newbie
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I acquired a nitro RC today from my brother, who had a friend who found it at the dump and gave it to him. I figured why not try to see what it is, try and figure out what’s wrong with it and see if I can get it going. So I did some research on it today and with what I have and what I could find, I think I have a Duratrax Overdrive ST, which has the .17 nitro engine and a 2 speed gearbox.

Anyway, what you see in the pictures is what I have. I want to look things over and see if the main components are good/fixable, before I try and source a radio and other things I’ll need to actually drive it.

What checks do I do, what do I buy and from where, what am I looking for? First time nitro owner here, used to have a Traxxas Stampede but that was when I was a kid. Any info and assistance is appreciated!

IMG_3281.jpeg

IMG_3279.jpeg

IMG_3280.jpeg

As a note, I do see the damaged front and rear control arms. And one of the shocks.

The manual for your truck was copyrighted in 2001. If it were my truck I would clean it up and find a spot on the shelf for it and buy a new nitro. Your obstacle is finding parts for it. You can 3D print the plastic parts.

I can’t see the damage from the pics, but the chassis looks great. Having just refurbished a 20-year old nitro myself, you may want to shelf that and get a new one. Come back to it after some time when you have stumbled across some parts? It’s a cool looking piece for sure.
It just looks so unused, get it running at least…..

Those are A arms not control arms.I can see the in front back side of arm .I also see the missing piece on rear for axel hub.Good luck finding parts.
Check compression of motor.
Going to need a glow plug and glow plug ignitor
nitro fuel
clutch pads and bell as in condition of both along with clutch springs(more than likely rusty and dont work like they should)
Battery pack to run servos and radio receiver.
going to have to go thru disassemble every piece once you get a manual and find what has bearings or if it has bushings
This might be a money trap might be best to sell as is
theres other things iam sure I missed
check carb
replace fuel lines and add a fuel filter
This might be a money trap might be best to sell as is
Found these..
https://www.ebay.com/itm/1554435714...ms=ispr=1&amdata=enc:1rSW7Vq2rS4eWBr4yRoV4lQ5

manual you can copy each page
https://www.manualslib.com/manual/875370/Duratrax-Overdrive-St.html

Last edited:
Hello everyone!

I acquired a nitro RC today from my brother, who had a friend who found it at the dump and gave it to him. I figured why not try to see what it is, try and figure out what’s wrong with it and see if I can get it going. So I did some research on it today and with what I have and what I could find, I think I have a Duratrax Overdrive ST, which has the .17 nitro engine and a 2 speed gearbox.

Anyway, what you see in the pictures is what I have. I want to look things over and see if the main components are good/fixable, before I try and source a radio and other things I’ll need to actually drive it.

What checks do I do, what do I buy and from where, what am I looking for? First time nitro owner here, used to have a Traxxas Stampede but that was when I was a kid. Any info and assistance is appreciated!

View attachment 180667

View attachment 180668

View attachment 180669

As a note, I do see the damaged front and rear control arms. And one of the shocks.
I have one I bought new back in 05 I'm rebuilding right now. You can download the manual online. I rebuilt the engine and added a drill start to replace the pull start. It was a really fun truck that took a bashing. The suspension can be replaced with newer parts.