Hello! question about xl5.9

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KM23

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hello
Kurt here new to the forum I'm posting my first in savage forum because I just bought a 5.9xl. just wanted to introduce my self been reading a lot in this forum for last 3 weeks before I went out and bought one I am a proud owner :p:

---------- Post added at 5:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 5:48 PM ----------

oh for my ? is it ok if I don't do all 3 static break in tanks in one day or do you recommend doing the whole break in process in one day?

Last edited:
You can get a lot of different opinions on breaking in a nitro engine, but to your specific question, I don't think you have to do it all in one day. The most important thing while doing a break in is; take it easy on it and don't let it get to hot.

---------- Post added at 8:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 7:57 PM ----------

And btw welcome to the forum. :)

Last edited:
However long it takes it needs to be done. Just don't rush it and keep the temps under 250.

yeah, I agree it's not even always easy to break in...trust me...but even at tank 6 it still seems like it's getting stronger and better running.

It does not matter how long the break in process takes (I asked the very same question when I got started). ;-) I just finished breaking in a new engine and did so over the span of a week. Remember to set your piston a BDC when it cools--let us know if you are unsure what the means.

As importantly is the tuning process...general rules of thumb:
1. Ensure engine is fully warmed up before touching any needles.
2. Start with HSN, then LSN, then set your idle-gap to drop the idle (as it will rise when you lean your LSN)
3. Ideally you want the ballistic RPMs to drop when you go to nuetral. If you hear the engine run on....that being it goes to a medium idle, then down to a lower idles 5+ seconds later....your HSN is to lean. A common mistake is lean HSN/rich LSN.
4. If it drops down to its idle then rises up again...it's too lean on the bottom.
5. Have fun!

It should be pretty easy to get it tuned. I hope this helped. Let us know if you have questions...

I had it out today and ran about 5 tanks
She deff started to open up...the truck dosent seem
To be very responsive yet till it gets pretty
Warm my temps today were between 170 and
180 which I know are very low will it rise as
It breaks in more? Also the truck hasn't shifted
Into 3rd gear yet will that come with more time
Or should I adjust now?

Thank you for the help!!

Sound like you are doing good. I would lean it out a bit on the hsn to bring your temps up to 200 or so. And don't worry about 3rd gear right now, wait till its good and broke in and you can tune for performance.

Just want to say thank you for the help!
I think I need to look into some better servos though I mean the truck can't stop for poop lol I tried adjusting the brake making it stronger but dosent seem to much good seems a lot of people on the forum say to get a hitec so going to look into that....
just want to say I see a lot of people say they have problems with the rotorstart with these engines but I tried the trick with just breaking the glow plug loose and it starts right up tighten down and ready to go!

While the stock servos are...well, stock; they have little to do with braking ability. Do not let anyone talk you into getting an expensive servo just so you can brake better. Take that advice however you want. I had the same problems when I got our Savage (the link setup sucks on this thing), but now it's smooth at nuetral and can do a front flip if I hit the brakes going > 3/4 speed. ;-)...AND I'm using throttle servo with less torque and speed than the stock. I just hate to see people ill-advised and get suckered into something they don't need.

Try replacing the spring on the throttle rod with some fuel tubing if you haven't yet. Be careful though as you dial in your brakes...as you want to ensure they are not engaged at nuetral. If you need explicit instructions, let me know and I'm happy to help.

The steering servo is the one you'll want to upgrade at some point. I'm running a ProTek 130T and it works great.

See what I wrote earlier about tuning it. You don't necessarily need to race tune it...but you'll see a world of difference once you start leaning it out as the stock settings are very rich (which is common for RTR engines)

By the way, simply Google 'HPI savage x 4.6 brake adjustment' and you'll see a video I did on this last year after I got our Savage. It's very basic, but might help with your 5.9. Thanks

Last edited:
Thank you Nitro Nerd
I tried adjusting but truck still has very weak breaking prob going to upgrade so I don't crash into something or someone. :whhooo:

Thank you Nitro Nerd
I tried adjusting but truck still has very weak breaking prob going to upgrade so I don't crash into something or someone. :whhooo:

Understood. Braking is obviously important. It's your money. ;-) Just remember what I said....an upgraded servo is not going to help with braking unless your throttle servo is shot. It has 100% to do with your link setup. However, if you want to get a HiTec---I suggest a 7955 or 7940. I run them on our race buggies..and also have a few Savox 1258's. However, I'm looking for speed and torque for throttle servos.

Last edited:
Understood. Braking is obviously important. It's your money. ;-) Just remember what I said....an upgraded servo is not going to help with braking unless your throttle servo is shot. It has 100% to do with your link setup. However, if you want to get a HiTec---I suggest a 7955 or 7940. I run them on our race buggies..and also have a few Savox 1258's. However, I'm looking for speed and torque for throttle servos.

So do you think I should try something else first? I looked online for videos but didn't see anything that would help maybe looking at the wrong video??

Yup try replicating the linkage set up that came with the rig using helicopter linkages. I have yet to do this myself but I hear that they are a lot stronger, and have less slop/play.

So do you think I should try something else first? I looked online for videos but didn't see anything that would help maybe looking at the wrong video??

Yeah, I think you should first try dialing in your brakes slowly, right until your dragging. Then back it out to where they are not dragging. As long as the servo is turning, that is your solution. You said you tried adjusting, what specifically have you tried? It could be anything from your travel settings to simply adjusting your cams, or the calipers, etc.

the only thing I tried was adjusting the linkage towards the front of the truck I followed instructions from the manual and turned clockwise to try and make it stronger but didn't want to go to much because I don't want to break anything

I also wanted to ask I am about half a gallon down so far but the trucks till hasn't shifted into 3rd gear yet is it time to adjust ??

Let's attack this another way by understanding how it all works.

See that spring by the thumb screw? When the servo turns in a braking direction, the spring acts as an object to push the the brake rod out. When this happens, a cam is rotated, which puts pressure on the brfake pads onto the discs...stopping the drivetrain.

When screwing that thumbscrew in...all your doing is shortening the distance the spring has to travel in order to push the rod (apply the brakes).

Two suggestions:
1. Replace the spring with a piece of fuel tubing sligtly longer. This way force is applied earlier and potenrtialty harder.
2. If #1 does not apply brakes, then make a longer piece of tubing. If it drags the brakes at neutral, making a slightly shorter piece.
3. Additionally, apply brake and follow the rod. You'll see on the bottom of the chassis it's turning the brake cam (metal thing the rod goes through. If that is not turning, you unscrew it a bit and move the rod further through it...which is the same effect.

ok thanks nitro nerd I'm going to give it a shot next time I have it out hopefully this weekend..what you think about it not shifting into 3rd gear yet? half gallon of fuel so far:\

ok thanks nitro nerd I'm going to give it a shot next time I have it out hopefully this weekend..what you think about it not shifting into 3rd gear yet? half gallon of fuel so far:\

You really want to make sure your tune is good before adjusting your transmission. If your engine isn't getting to a high enough RPM, the trans won't shift.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

You really want to make sure your tune is good before adjusting your transmission. If your engine isn't getting to a high enough RPM, the trans won't shift.
What he said. The ability to shift doesn't have anything to do with how many gallons you've had through it....it's how well the engine is optimized and what sort of RPMs you can (safely) get.

Back