Head Gasket Button head shim

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilhd

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
Engine= Mach 26
Fuel in question 20% 30%
K, here's one!
I'm under the understanding at this point that going between different percentages in fuels shouldn't just be done without changing something in the vehicle. Now if I needed to change fuels it recomemnded that I raise the gasket. So the question I have is this.

1st. Comments on the statement I jsut made please and what have some of you found works?

2. Is the head raised by replacing it with a new one that has a different spec or adding gaskets "thoes rings"
Cause I can only find stock heads where ever I go and unsure how to raise it, if in fact I should raise it! :)

3rd and final. Now the higher percentage means more speed correct?
lol, now what if I wanted to go higher then 30% what modifications would I need then if any?..and No I don't race but beating other friends on courses is the fantastic. Who doesn't like speed. hahaha

The head shim is a little "washer" looking thing that creates space between the the head and the cooling tower, (where ur glow plug is) The aftershock comes stock with a 1mm head shim. To create a little more airspace, (to run 30%+) fuel, you would need to upgrade your head shim to maybe a 2mm. Its what i did, and solved all my problems with tuning, and burning plugs while running 30% fuel. If you are running stock, you should stick with a 20% fuel. It also depends on what kind of fuel you are using. You should not jump from one type to another. Different brands use different percentages of oil. Ex. Losi nitrotane (what i run) has a much lesser percentage of oil than, say, traxxas topfuel. just my 2cents
*taken from my last post

Added: The main reasoning behind upgrading the percentages is to burn cooler. The 30% has a much less oil content than the 20% thus letting it burn faster, cooler. Faster burn=more power. if that makes any sense. It takes a strict tune to get it running correctly, but once you find that "sweet spot", it makes a huge difference. There is no reason to change the stock head. It makes no difference. The shim does all the work of expanding the area in side the combustion chamber.

As for the fact of adding top end speed, you would have to change to an engine with a higher RPM rate. You will get to that top speed faster with 30%, but it will stay the same as before. To get an even higher accel rate, i would recomend changing the exhaust. I recomend Jammin JP-3. Its what i use, and has made a remarkable difference. The reasoning behind an aftermarket pipe is that it lets your engine "breath" more freely. The stock air filter is probably one of the best that you will be able to find. adding a "K&N" style will do nothing but add a little bling to your ride.

Buddy, LMAO you must be able to see my truck from there. That was a nice call. lol you should play poker. (I have a K&N filter and Jp1 pipe, look'n to replace with a Jp4) Anyway, your comments were helpful. I really wanted to know more about the head shimm. If that was a way to de-compress the engine if moving to a 30% fuel. And by the way, I for got to add that the 30% has 12% oil, same as the 20%.
So Alpineh., your comments helped!
In addition, you mentioned that the 30% runs cooler, in essence wil that make the engine temp cool! I know sounds stupid, but just making sure!

P.S. I live in Toronto Canada and I'm not to worried about engine temptures in the winter, just really in the summer, but I love soakin in the knowledge!

You would also need to adjust your glow plug to a colder plug to be able to handle the change. You will just burn up hot plugs with this fuel. Even with 85 degree weather we have been having here, i havent gotten my temp above 200 degrees yet, and thats after running 3-4 tanks straight on the track with a lot of throttle play.

Hahahaha, like I said, you must for see my every move before I make it lmao, I've got cool plugs in hands. Now I'm confident we're on the same page!!
Thx alpinh. :)

Not a prob. I dont know too much, but u happened to stumble on the one topic i know pretty much everything about.