HB Dirt Demon .26

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did the break-in in a friend's dirt demon, everything was ok after 5 tanks......then the rotostart turns freely......I take off the engine, take off the back plate and fount that the one-way bearing have a crack.......too bad.

Fot temporary fix the problem we put 'bearing lock tite' and works like a charm.

I buy a Savage one-way bearing and hoping it fits.....

The dirt demon runs like hell, I like my savage driving experience more than dirt demon and t-maxx.

Excuse my poor english...I'm doing my best.

UPPER A ARMS

EVERY TIME I HIT ANY KIND OF JUMP W/ MY DIRT DEMON, I SNAP A UPPER A ARM, DOES ANY BODY KNOW OF ANYONE WHO WOULD BE INTERESTED IN SOME ALUMINUM OR TITANIUM A ARMS FOR THIS TRUCK, I'M GONNA HAVE THIS GUY MACHINE ME UP A COUPLE FOR MYSELF.

well first off, shouting isnt gonna help you get customers, and second of all-F/S Fourm is a good place. Try posting something like-"Custom Machined A-Arms for HB-Dirt Demon"
And Be sure not to shout.:argue:

need more info on dirt demon bought one had my lhd break in eng
the pin in cvd fell out been waiting two weeks now i should just go pick it up and make my own damm pin. i should of bought a savage 25 :doh:

how fast does the demon go it seems pretty heavy 12.8 lbs

Dirt Demon

Would have posted before but lost my server awhile back. Anywho I bought a Dirt Demon a month ago cause I have a T.Q. & they seemed similar. I was told at the lhs there was a recall on the diff. but bought it anyway cause I have a shop & know a little about the workings of rc-trucks. The instructins say the truck should roll in neutral about 5', no way. My tires were locked dead up!! so instead off being pissed I took the whole truck apart (would have anyway). Both diff's were shimmed totaly backwards pinning the pinion against the ring gear on both front & rear boxes! & the planet gears were shimmed so tight the diff case was jamed against the housing. A bad thing for the novice (me included). using my car mechanic exp. I re-shimed both f. & r. diff's, they rolled fine on the chassis without the trans, engine, or drive shafts (those diff gears look like they were cut with a blow tourch). A soon as the trany went back in the truck locked up again! I found the f. & r. central bushing (70265 & 66) were different in height, so flat sanding a tad off the rear about .005 brought them in-line & installing the center shafts to the diff's the truck rolled 6'. Now some wizard at Hot Bodies had used "RED" loctite on the whole truck so heads-up when your checking things, I had to drill out 2 set screws because of that.
Wheel alignment out of the box was plain insane being toed out (f. & r.) to the point of shurly wearing the treads out in short order & caster was as bad. With all back together (BLUE LOCTITE) & running the 1-way-bearing in the roto start self destructed but I dont think its Hot Bodies fault for that. The same bearing is in my Torq-21 & its fine after many starts, maybe the difference between the pull-start & elec. start has different pressure on the bearing??
Hot Bodies should do away with the 3 needle carb. Those 2 needles on the low speed side can make you crazy & there break in instructions on the engine are worthless. I run my new engines off the truck on a test stand with fans & a slight load (to simulate being in the truck) a temp guage & heat cycle at least 3 tanks, before tuning it. Its alot easier to work on & when it goes in the truck it'll start & run with just a fine tune.
Its really to bad Hot Bodies really craps together this truck. All in all its a good sturdy truck with a balls out motor. They really need to get someone in there who knows & cares about putting these things together or if they want to hire brain dead assemblers just make a "kit" so we can put it together ourselfs-RIGHT. I tried to call them once soon after my purchase cause there pretty close to me, but the girl said all the tech's were in a meeting, never did call back, it would of been a waist of my time. Truck runs great now except for that 1/10 body they slapped on a 1/8 truck, later (sorry for the bad spelling)

Yes the 10 scale body is the first thing to go, I'm putting on a mrc thunder king 8 scale on. i havent been doing any running yet, do to the weather plus I've been going through the whole truck getting all the bugs worked out

Dud Demon

Your right dmckie. Any RTR should be complety dis-assembled & gone through. I learned that with my 1st truck. It took itself apart leaving the back yard-lol. Watch the universal joints, mine to had the pins fall out. Knowing it would take a year to order new ones, I made my own using piano wire the same size as the holes for a zero fit then filed flush. I wish H.T. had used a metal gear steering servo, I have one & replaced it first thing. I have a little trouble finding 1/8 bodies. I have a Parma grave digger on the T.Q. Bodies seem to get waisted pretty quick on a off road MT so I'm just going to repaint the outside of the T.Q. 1/8 & use it. The D.D. clutches seem to be the racing type which mine didn't engage under 1/8 throtle so I re-adjusted the springs, works great. The shocks are the same as the T.Q. but I think they used vegitable oil cause if I pushed down on the truck it stayed there-lol. Now they have 80w in them. As I said, the D.D. seems like a good truck, I like it (now) plus it comes in a sturdy box that I cut a hole in for the cats, they love it. If your in the snow there, somewhere on 1 of these rc sites I saw a way to make chains for the tires

Last edited:
your right i think they used mazola for oil . my box wont even make a good cat house because oil leaked all inside of it.

lol, sorry your having problems. If I can be of any help feel free to let me know. I'm no wizard but most things are pretty simple once ya understand what there suposed to do. Those 2 needles on the low side are a waist, they both do the same thing-lol, later-------:jet:

thanks robie, the problems havn't been to bad. nothing i havnt' been able to deal with . when i decided to get this truck and try this hobby out i kind of figuerd that i would have a few problemms but i figured that would be half the fun .(fixing them).like i said i havnt ran it that much yet its been broke in +about 3 or 4 tanks i still need to do some adjustments on the engine I'm going to go through and re-greese the tran and the diffs while its raining ill get back with you if i need any help thanks

Its great your having good luck w/your truck. I'm glad you understand things can go wrong. I've been bench running my .26 the first 3 tanks doing the break in, its a bunch easier. I had some trouble with the (2) needles on the low end, I dont feel the mid-range is needed. if your having trouble with the clutch not coming in soon enough like mine, squeeze the springs a tad, it works. While at the lhs I picked up a 14 tooth clutch bell from a Savage. Its the same as the D.D. & should increase my top end, we'll see. Got it all back together last night & planning to run it today, I'll let ya know, Robie

I have a brand new one in the box I need to sell, I've already got way too many MT's and my wife bought me another for x-mas so if you're interested e-mail me at [email protected]

Back