Having trouble maint. low idle speed

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scratch

RC Newbie
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
3.3 runs great but I can't seem to get a good idle setting. Either it's too low and cuts out or it wants to get all excited and jump in and out of gear... Are one of my needles too rich?:\

Is the carb idle gap set to 1mm ? (Idle speed screw)

Are your radio trims at neutral ? This can cause high Idle if radio trim it is set too high

Have you changed the LSN settings ? LSN should be flush with the body Carb slide body

Is your clutch ok ? If the spring is broken this can allow the clutch shoes to try to engage, even at high idle.

If you can, could you explain the problem in a little more detail ? I.E, does it act in the way you describe when just started or when at running temp.

The more details you give, the better the help you will receive.

Tiger's right, also make sure the throttle return spring is holding the carb slide closed.

The problem seems to occur after the engine is warm. After a couple of runs when the truck is standing at idle the rpm's begin to increase from a decent idle to the point that the clutch shoes engage- disengage - engage... causing the truck to jerk foward. I've checked the trims on the radio and they're good. I don't know about the clutch springs... I need to find out where they are. I bought the truck used from a buddy and I left the LSN alone but it looks slightly recessed, not flush. I have turned the HSN 1/4 turn lean from his settings... The truck runs good (to me) during WOT... The return spring is nice and snug too

I don't know how to set the carb idle gap... where do I measrue 1mm?

The clutch springs you are talking about is only one, and it's wrapped around the clutch shoes inside of the clutch bell on the output shaft of the engine.

Cool, thanks. All of this looks good, except I didn't check the clutch spring... I'll go run it some and see if I get it.