Hauler bag......really necessary?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godale03

Awesomer!! Than Rolex!!
Supporter
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Hey guys......what do you all use to tote your gear to and from the track? I have been using an old Plano tackle box for years. It has served its purpose ok....but it is very limited in space and it is so full that trying to keep it organized is next to impossible. I'm tired of fumbling around trying to find a tool....plus it doesn't hard parts or my cordless screwdriver or my power supply and charger. I was looking at the protek rc bag from amain and it looks pretty good. Is it the answer to my problems though? Is it worth the $179? It would be nice to have some consolidation so that packing up to go racing is much easier.

I've been using a Plano tackle box for years as well, I just recently picked up this Craftsman bag. It's not too bad, it seems to be well built and has a decent amount of room, I didn't pay $30 though.

Anther Plano tackle box fan. I also use the lure storage boxes for parts.

Another Plano vote here for tools and spares

B&W Intl (just like pelican but German made and half the price) waterproof cases for batteries

Those large plastic rubbermaid containers with lids in case of rain for the rigs since they ride in the bed of the truck and I just strap 'em in

Sounds like a resounding no. Lol! I am just desperate for a better way to keep organized and reduce the number of containers around with me. Maybe I just have the wrong Plano tackle box? Maybe you guys can post up a few picks?

Last edited:
When I raced I found the hauler bag to be the way to go. Plenty of room for tires, spare parts, power supply and tools. Even for 5th scale.

I have the Venom branded bag which at the time was a lot cheaper than the rest.

Now it is Atomic branded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atomik-Tran...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4c24ea81

Thanks for the link Rob! Did you have any durability issues? That seems to be the one thing I have read that you need to be wary of before ordering. Also the quality of the drawers. The atomic bag looks to be well made.

I just use an atoms hockey bag, it has enough room for 2 R/Cs, 2 parts boxes, and my westward/or ITC tool kits, it's also water resistant.

Thanks for the link Rob! Did you have any durability issues? That seems to be the one thing I have read that you need to be wary of before ordering. Also the quality of the drawers. The atomic bag looks to be well made.

I have had no issues with durability. May be due to the fact I don't beat my stuff around. Drawers are made out of a corrugated plastic material which do their job nicely. Any spilled fluid can just be wiped out.

I've used tackle boxes and a rolling tool box before finally settling on a hauler bag. Using a tackle box meant I had to haul the rest of my gear in separate boxes or bag which usually meant I forgot something. Rolling tool box was nice, but it was large and heavy and I also had to use smaller gear boxes inside to keep stuff organized.

I have had no issues with durability. May be due to the fact I don't beat my stuff around. Drawers are made out of a corrugated plastic material which do their job nicely. Any spilled fluid can just be wiped out.

I've used tackle boxes and a rolling tool box before finally settling on a hauler bag. Using a tackle box meant I had to haul the rest of my gear in separate boxes or bag which usually meant I forgot something. Rolling tool box was nice, but it was large and heavy and I also had to use smaller gear boxes inside to keep stuff organized.

Rob.... this is exactly why I am looking into getting a hauler bag. I am tired of lugging 3 or 4 containers around which not only take up a bunch of space in my rc room, but also in the truck.... I also inevitably forget to bring something. In fact I forget to bring something almost every time! LOL It would also be nice to be able to leave everything in one spot and be able to wrench at home while leaving my tools organized and always in the same place. So that when it comes time to race I zip it up grab my rig and go. I know a hauler bag is not going to make me a better racer or my cars go faster...but being organization and convenience is important. I am also very easy on my equipment... just because that is the way I am, but also because I know I can't afford to keep replacing things too.

Rob... do you have any pictures of your bag loaded up? That is one thing the websites don't show you... how much these bags can actually hold.

Right now mine is setup for 5th scale. What scale are you running so I can load it up with what you would be using and take a pic?

When I raced I found the hauler bag to be the way to go. Plenty of room for tires, spare parts, power supply and tools. Even for 5th scale.

I have the Venom branded bag which at the time was a lot cheaper than the rest.

Now it is Atomic branded.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Atomik-Tran...Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5d4c24ea81

I've looked at those before, the mixed reviews kept me away from them, I just can't afford to spend $150-$180 on a bag that won't last. I also don't think it would last long going down trails, I have to walk down some trails to get to my main bashing spots....one is about a 3 min walk and the other is about a 10 min one. I should get a Summit and a wagon to haul my stuff, especially at the end of the day when I have to carry the pieces. :D

Right now mine is setup for 5th scale. What scale are you running so I can load it up with what you would be using and take a pic?

I would be running 8th scale e-buggy and e-truggy. You don't have to empty your bag if you already have it loaded for 5th scale.....I don't mean to create any work for you just for a picture.

I have one, Duratrax I think. The double sided tape that came with it sucks, and I had access to some 3M VHB tape so I used that. It's more of a pain than it's worth, it doesn't fit in my trunk and barely fits in the backseat of my Grand Prix. I only paid $125 for it, for organization it's nice, but I wouldn't buy it if I had to do it all over again.

Back