Hardware suggestions

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

STONER RC

BUILD it, SEND it, BASH it, FIX it, REPEAT
Lifetime Supporter!
Supporter
Excellence Award
Hospitality Award
Build Thread Contributor
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
  2. Racing
  3. Crawling
  4. Scale Builder
  5. Flying
  6. Boating
So took outbthe kra8. Yesterday and broke the screws holding the steering linkage to the right side knuckle. And wasn't even launching it. Just ripping threw a soccer field. Don't really want titanium screws. Some time thread suck.. would prefer steal. @wictold about master car screws lookimg into them any other you guys use for heavy duty strong screws???

If it’s harden its good to go my opinion.
I deal with real heavy equipment at work and u always want best grade best steel ect. Lives rely on that poop. I pull a final on D11 bolts go in metal bin always new poop and no crap 💩

That's a lot of poop lol. I gots a lot more for ya 😉

Hey @TRAT - what brand bolts do you guys keep on hand? I am sure you guys use high quality stuff.

We always used McMaster in the machining world. Sometimes Fastenal. But you didn't see that except in shops where the Fastenal guys had a retail shop locally.

The bonus to that was, they kept the bins around the shop completely stocked for us. GE had an Aerospace shop in town here where I started machining, and they used the local Fastenal retail shop for just that. It was so nice to just go grab whatever you needed from a bin just a few feet from your machine, that always had plenty of every size. I don't remember too many Fastenal bolts making me feel like I was using poopy hardware either.

If I had my choice though, it would be McMaster hardware. Comparing just the look and feel of Fastenal vs McMaster - the McMaster just has that durable look and feel. It just looks like a well machined part. I can't tell you how many fixtures I had holes strip out on from 100's of parts being ran on them. Long before the bolts showed a bit of wear, even in the hex sockets.

This $950,000 718 Inconel part was held down with McMaster brand bolts and hardware. And it started out as a crusty, solid forged ring with about 1" stock in the "lighter" areas of the forging. The tool peeling off the crust of the forging was taking about a 3/4" width of cut, .030" per revolution, and about 450 RPM if I remember correctly. If you walked within 10' of the machine and got hit with a metal chip, it felt like someone threw a scalding hot lug nut at you at 30mph. And that is not exaggerating one bit 😉
l_35a53636e365b8ee0082c6bcaa64b86e.jpg

I wish I had pics, but one such chip hit me in the eyeball. Fortunately I saw it coming for the gap between my face and my glasses. I closed my eye just in time, but it basically stuck to my eyelid, sealing it shut, even after I pulled the chip off the fried flash. I walked over to my buddy running the machine to have him peel my eye open. He about pooped when he saw it.

Last edited:
That's a lot of poop lol. I gots a lot more for ya 😉

Hey @TRAT - what brand bolts do you guys keep on hand? I am sure you guys use high quality stuff.

We always used McMaster in the machining world. Sometimes Fastenal. But you didn't see that except in shops where the Fastenal guys had a retail shop locally.

The bonus to that was, they kept the bins around the shop completely stocked for us. GE had an Aerospace shop in town here where I started machining, and they used the local Fastenal retail shop for just that. It was so nice to just go grab whatever you needed from a bin just a few feet from your machine, that always had plenty of every size. I don't remember too many Fastenal bolts making me feel like I was using poopy hardware either.

If I had my choice though, it would be McMaster hardware. Comparing just the look and feel of Fastenal vs McMaster - the McMaster just has that durable look and feel. It just looks like a well machined part. I can't tell you how many fixtures I had holes strip out on from 100's of parts being ran on them. Long before the bolts showed a bit of wear, even in the hex sockets.

This $950,000 718 Inconel part was held down with McMaster brand bolts and hardware. And it started out as a crusty, solid forged ring with about 1" stock in the "lighter" areas of the forging. The tool peeling off the crust of the forging was taking about a 3/4" width of cut, .030" per revolution, and about 450 RPM if I remember correctly. If you walked within 10' of the machine and got hit with a metal chip, it felt like someone threw a scalding hot lug nut at you at 30mph. And that is not exaggerating one bit 😉
View attachment 149973

I wish I had pics, but one such chip hit me in the eyeball. Fortunately I saw it coming for the gap between my face and my glasses. I closed my eye just in time, but it basically stuck to my eyelid, sealing it shut, even after I pulled the chip off the fried flash. I walked over to my buddy running the machine to have him peel my eye open. He about pooped when he saw it.
Please tell me NASA isnt dropping $950,000 on toilet parts now. 🤣🤣

ProTek steel for me. They claim black oxide finish, but if it is it's a real light coating. They'll go lightly rusted after a few months in this high humidity environment. Black oxide'd should not do that. Still, for the price and quantity count per package, they are ok by me. Seem strong enough for my applications.

Like you, Chubaca, prefer carbon steel. Stainless and aluminum are no longer my first choices. Ti (titanium) seldom see use here. I continue to look favorably on nylon fasteners for a few special low-stress applications.

Overall, though, has to be ferrous so I can fish what I drop in the chassis with a magnet. Hope this helps. Cheers. 'AC'

Let me send u some may be very heavy though
I’ll back pack it out what size you need smallest I go 1 1/2 inch
Can go bigger depending what you want to build
You will need a spine gun and not lil one big birtha ways over 60 pounds 5k impact. I hate that thing!! To heavy and seen it take out buddy’s teeth 🦷 no lie

Last edited:
I
Let me send u some may be very heavy though
I’ll back pack it out what size you need smallest I go 1 1/2 inch
Can go bigger depending what you want to build
You will need a spine gun and not lil one big birtha ways over 60 pounds 5k impact. I hate that thing!! To heavy and seen it take out buddy’s teeth 🦷 no lie
f I can find it I got a bolt for ya. I dont even have the socket for it, and I got my dads, gpas, ggpa, and gggpa tools. 🤔

One bolt I do have and use it as a tool is for pulling D11 tracks. It’s no joke little bend to it have to send pics
All my poop is at work in the mine once I go back I’ll shoot some pics

Please tell me NASA isnt dropping $950,000 on toilet parts now. 🤣🤣
It is a rig for GE for testing jet engines, if I had to guess. They design it, we made it. They had some pretty crazy stuff that we made.

No... the NASA part I made that I remember was the size of a Coke can. In fact, it was exactly the size of a Coke can on the ID. A full Coke would slide through it, traveling about 3 inches per second, til it rested on the workbench. Like a gloove I tell ya. The scrap one was my can coolie for my Coke til the shop burned down and melted it a few months later. A 7075 and 4025 or some poop pile of goo. Turned out, those tubes we made were to connect outerspace rat cages together on the space station. A 7075 aluminum rat highway system is what they were.

You guys rock. I need m4 x 40mm. Got to look threw master car today. Monster bolt on Ebay doesn't haven then thag long. It's going to be a hard one to find. Most places stop at 30mm. Hobby king has then that long but it plan Ole steal. I love the book @WickedFog I know what time that was 😉🤣🤣 @TRAT You probably don't even use screws that small. Lol.. the envelope is in the mail sir...👍👍

Back