Hamz's New Project!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hamz9561

Proud Short Bus Rider
Supporter
Military Veteran
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
Look what came in:

1539385972269.png

Can't wait to finish setting it up and get started with some projects that I've found.

Nice, what 3D printer did you buy @hamz9561?
A Creality Ender 3. You can get them for anywhere from $179 to $259 for a base model which is what I have. There is an upgraded version for $100 more.

A Creality Ender 3. You can get them for anywhere from $179 to $259 for a base model which is what I have. There is an upgraded version for $100 more.
Dang that's really reasonable. Looking forward to seeing some of the prints you get off of it.

Here are some more prints. First is a fan shroud to keep stuff from falling into fan and then on the controller board ( the fan is in the top left of the picture, blue lit):
Fan Shroud and Mounting Location.jpg

Here is a cover the PCB on the back of the display unit (98% complete.):

20181016_170220.jpg

I've been printing more stuff with a different filament that was cheap and now I'm paying for it with failed prints and weak items. Live and learn. No more cheap eBay filament for me.

Here is project #4 installed (a Petsfang Bullseye parts cooler/hot-end cooler shroud) and the next project under way. Any guesses as to what it is? (No, it's not for @Rolex to polish or for anything RC that I already have.)
4th Success and new peoject.jpg

And yes, those are JST plugs on the fans to make them easier to replace if necessary.

@hamz9561 I've been wanting a 3D printer for a while and you are not helping that itch right now.

Not sure how I'm going to hide the Prusa from the wife. :D

@hamz9561 I've been wanting a 3D printer for a while and you are not helping that itch right now.

Not sure how I'm going to hide the Prusa from the wife. :D

So don't get a Prusa. The Creality Ender 3 that I have is a decent printer that comes mostly assembled and prints reasonably well, is on sale all the time for $179.99 if you look around. The Ender 3 Pro comes with a better power supply and a print surface for $100 more. There is a lot of support for them on line like the Prusa machines. Just remember the extras that you need to get to use the printers which is a slicing program such as Cura which I use (and it's free) or Simplify 3d is a more feature friendly slicer and runs $150. And then if you want to design your own stuff, that's where it gets interesting in needing a CAD program like Autodesk's Fusion 360 (which costs a fortune unless you qualify for a "start up" license Which I do, since I'm just a hobbyist and don't plan on selling anything for a profit.

It looks like it would be easy to convert to a fully autonomous parts polisher. Finally, a REALLY good reason to buy a 3D printer.

You wouldn't want to because at the speed that most tools turn, it would burn through the paint before you know it @Rolex. But you can use it to print the M2s and wheels for your tiny HMMWV, though.

I forgot to mention, @WoodiE, that the Creality Ender 3 has a slightly larger print volume at 220mm X 220mm X 250mm.

In preparation for printing the trainer, I decided to print a longer print that would take most of a day. I woke up this morning to a catastrophic failure with the printing plate on the floor and a ball of melted filament around the hot end....

So much for using printed clamps for the new glass printing plate. A trip to Wallyworld later and some decent clamps and I'm up and running after spending an hour getting the filament ball off of the hot end.