Glowplug voltage?

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bshobes

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
  1. Bashing
OK .... what is the voltage for glowplugs ..... i think it is 7.2v...but i have an old battery for my old rc heli of mine which is 7.4v 1300 mah ..which was the perfect sive to mount on my truck ... is 7.4v to much for the glowplug?

---------- Post added at 7:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 7:31 AM ----------

534724_435794803147999_1079205988_n.jpg

Most all ignitors are only 1.2 to 1.5 volts. If you shoot 7.2v to it its possible to burn it up immediately. The hotter a plug burns the shorter the lifespan will be. Hints the reason running too lean will burn up plugs faster.

well i guess what i ment is the power to the unit is 7.2v .... not directly to the glowplug

Well in that case you may be safe. All these electronics on a tmaxx are made to run off of 6v. So that being said i dont know if 7.2v would be too much as to burn up the receiver and servos or not. Maybe not or maybe someone who knows better will verify for you.

A glow plug runs on 1.2 V from a rechargeable igniter. 1.5 if you use an alkaline c or d cell unit.
Even if a truck has a 7.2 battery to run it, the voltage to the plug is stepped down to the glow plug wire.

The ez start should be fine with the 7.4v battery, unless your trying to run a remote start, I'd pull that 1st gen ez start box and grab a wand from the chop shops on the bay. Your best bet though, would be to use a stand alone ignitor.

I have done away with the blue wire on all my traxxas engines and just use an glow plug igniter on all my engines. What can happen as the 7.2 Volt pack installed in the ezstart it can fall below 1 volt as the battery pack is drained and not provide enough juice to the glow plug even though ezstart still turns over the engine. Using a 1.2 Volt NiMh or NiCad Glow igniter makes sure the engine starts quickly with a hot glow plug every time. Glow plugs require at least 1.2 volts to light them to bright yellow or orange to fire the engine up. I have found over the years the blue wire does not get the glow plug hot enough for consistant starts. I charge my NiCad and NiMh glow ignitors the night before I go to play the next day. I have 2 1400 Nicad and one 2600 NiMh for the task.

Last edited:
Back