Glow pugs getting all smashed up!

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike c.

RCTalk Addict
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
OoPs umm hi guys just figerd this out(the hard way right now) like 5 min. ago i primed my t-maxx wich lead to a flooded egine as i went to get my glow pulg wrech i pushed the ez-start to ceck if it would still turn. it did. so i start it drove it aroun for about 3 min then BAM!! it quit. i took off the top ceck if any thing was wrong. well, from the out side it was perfect, but on the inside now thats a different story. i tried to start it but no "PoP" or anything. so, i thougt the glow plug was fouled. well, sure-enugh it was the glow plug but not fouled but smashed up. so, i put a NEW glow plug in (and i thougt it was to close to the pistion so i eased off on the tightness)start it and sound like a cracking sound and i was like "oh no that was my last glow plug" and it was too, all smashed up. so i call my hobby shop and and the guy said that theres too much fuel in it when i tried to start and thats why glow pugs are all smashed like that. so if it's flouded don't try to start it!

P.S. sorry about the spelling.:stupid:

THANKS! I'll do that this weekend.and thanks again matts! i would of never thought of that!:D :)

Which brand and # glo-plugs are you using?

i dont know but this is what the package says: "KB-1L u.s pat. 3,911,326 Long Reach Glow Pulg"

I have never heard of them, the reason I asked is because it sounds like they might be too long to begin with. do they have a frame over the glo filiment? Eddy, or one of the other experts here, please chime in. I am new to this too.

do you mean the little bar that goes acrossed if so no it doesn't have one of thoughs

Originally posted by Mike c.
do you mean the little bar that goes acrossed if so no it doesn't have one of thoughs

Ok, did the truck ever run with these plugs?

yes this is the only kind of pulgs i use

OK i'll do that. take the head off i mean and also should i take the engine off the truck or can i do it with out taking it off.

Last edited:
no i mean just to take the head off

1. Get some Traxxas plugs - you shouldnt be running longs.

2. When you pull the head, move the flywheel to make sure the piston doesn't come all the way up to the top of the sleeve. If it does, you have bigger issues. May be time for new piston/sleeve and possible the con rod. The piston should stop before the top of the sleeve.

I'm going to venture to say that you have already damaged the top of the piston if the plugs are coming out smashed. I would also think you will want to strip the engine down after you have identified the problem, just to make sure you have no chuncks of metal floating around. That would be a recipe for a shot mill if you leave any in there.

Let me know how you make out.

-Chris

Oh yeah man if you got bent plugs you got one of three problems.

1. plug is to long ........pull head check for damage

2. You have stretched rod by running engine at full throttle to long ... Not as likely ... with head off you will be able to see if the piston goes all the way to top of sleave when you rotate the engine over. it should stop a little bit before the edge of the sleave

3. piston is going to far in sleve this is a combination of worn piston and sleve not likly on new motor this can be in combination with stretched con rod.

Lasyly there is no way that having the motor flooded which is hydro locked would cause you to smash the edn of the plugs . The fuel would simply compress around the element not push it up because the fuel would be all around the element. You got a pphysical mechanical metal to metal problem.
Get a traxxas plug and see what happens after you inspect the piston and sleve. If nothing hits write it off as a learning experince and only use traxxas plugs or equivelent. X

THANKS guys right now i am at my school's libary so i'll take the head off after school:banana:

ok guys i am home!

ok to take the head off i just losen the 4 scrues by the glow plug, right?:confused:

Re: ok guys i am home!

Originally posted by Mike c.
ok to take the head off i just losen the 4 scrues by the glow plug, right?:confused:

Yup,

TOOK THE HEAD OFF AND EVERY THINGS SHIP SHAPE

yup thats what i did and everything is fine.and the hobbyshop didn't have any traxxas glow plugs so i took som os engine glow pugs and they work great(there shorter then my old ones too)and thanks for all the help espeshally matts. couldn't done it with out you.