Glow plug question

Welcome to RCTalk

Come join other RC enthusiasts! You'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ayoitsjus10

RCTalk Basher
Reaction score
RC Driving Style
If you made it to 45 minutes id say that's normal, since you only made it to 43 than maybe you have a problem. ha ha jk. A problem I've seen is its an all or nothing engine, meaning its hard to mellow out its attitude and run rich enough idle to balance the powerband with consistency, resulting in an engine that generates a lot of heat in a short amount of time. (Its the reason the engine has such a tall cooling head) during those short bursts of heat the focus is on the glow plug, punishing the poor little coil.

I have found that by adding a thin head shim will "cool" its attitude, & allow for a richer tune(LSN)=cooler temps.

Its really about experimenting for yourself. If your local shop stocks traxxas parts than great, they are cheap.

That glow plug isn't new last owner used it while he was breaking in the maxx and I haven't changed it. I ran it myself about a allon of fuel during trying to tune it but is that glow plug compatible

Yes that plug will work but when it get good and hot outside this summer you may wanna move up to a hot plug really just depends what you like. And its really always a good idea to change a plug after break in it usually burns them up pretty good

well that certainly changes the scenario.

Glowplugs are a consumable product and from my experience wont last much past a gallon (ish). I typically run on the richer side which means I will flood out my plugs quicker than the average guy anyway so I've always got 2-3 spares lyin around in case 1 burns out. i prefer OS#8 or Dynamite but its about preference more than anything else

Plugs aren't made to last forever. When doing sled pulls, my plugs would only sometimes last a run or two. And a run for a sled pull is like 30 seconds to a minute b

Yeah a gallon is what i usually expect out of my plugs at best. If i get more than a gallon I'm surprised. My plug of choice is the mccoy mc59 hot with 20% fuel and if i run 30% i prefer the dynamite platinum #4 mediums. Had the best luck with these two brands over all else I've ran.